Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

exhaust interchangeability 27 Jun 2006 05:50 #57448

• tarheel365
  • tarheel365's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Just wondering if I can use kz750 exhausts on my zephyr750.

also has anyone bolted up a zr7 exhaust to their kz?

Just wondering since there are no aftermarket exhausts made for my bike anymore....err in the US

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

exhaust interchangeability 27 Jun 2006 06:07 #57453

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Edit your profile and add a signature with your bike year/model and your location and you would be far more likely to get specific tech help. The KZ750 included MANY models and years... two cylinder and four, etc. Thanks!
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

exhaust interchangeability 27 Jun 2006 06:20 #57457

• tarheel365
  • User
fixed.

the zephyr is a 4 cylinder.
same engine as the zr7 and kz750 fours.

exhaust interchangeability 27 Jun 2006 06:38 #57461

• wiredgeorge
  • User
Ahhh you own a Zephyr? I haven't ever seen a 750 version... seen a couple of the bigger ones but never a 750. First thing you need to do to see if the pipes will fit is go take your carburetors off. Measure the center to center... on a KZ750 (early 80s), they measure 77-93-77mm I believe... your Zephyr spacing MUST be the same for the pipes to work. Next step to look at is the flange OD... a set of KZ750 pipes must have an OD that will fit into the recess on your cylinder head. You will need to measure some KZ750 pipes or have an owner measure them. The flanges must also have some way of retaining the pipes. On 900/1000 pipes, the OEM pipes have exhaust keepers that slide off the pipes and use half moons that fit around the pipes and allow the exhuast keepers to put pressure on the head pipe flanges. You need to make sure that there is some way of being able to clamp the pipes in place... Last, is the routing... you may not have access to your oil filter or oil drain bolt and you may have to fabricate some sort of mount to hang the muffler. BTW: IF a 750 pipe doesn't work, the spacing for a Z1/KZ900 (903cc) or KZ1000 up to 1980 is the SAME as a KZ750 (early 80s) so any of these pipes MIGHT be cantidates. I doubt the spacing will be the same but you can measure your carbs to be check. Let me know what the carb spacing is for your bike... I would be interested.
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

exhaust interchangeability 27 Jun 2006 06:50 #57465

• tarheel365
  • User
excellent...thanks for the help

i'm waiting on a new tank, carb holders, and other goodies. So when I install the carb holders i'll try and get a measurement.

My engine serial# starts of w/ a kz750 though which leads me to believe it ought to be similar in measurements. My exhaust pipes use the same holding system with the half moon collars. its probably the same part # for kawasaki. and i've been told the zr7 exhaust will work but i'll have to rejet because the zr7's use slightly larger main jets.

It would be interesting to fit an older kz750 four with a zr7 exhaust.

exhaust interchangeability 27 Jun 2006 07:03 #57469

• trippivot
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
ZR might have a different rear mount at the passenger footrest. length or rise??? but the engine will use a GPz or any KZ pipe they are still the same. The exaust stud diameter is a detail on the flanges that needs consideration (6x1)or(8x1.25)

exhaust interchangeability 27 Jun 2006 07:04 #57470

• wiredgeorge
  • User
I don't think you will need to rejet because of the carburetion on a ZR7... Since this is an OEM exhaust, it MAY be slightly more free flowing than yours or it may NOT be. Try it first before rejetting... I doubt you will need to.
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

. 27 Jun 2006 07:14 #57471

• JMKZHI
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 48
del

Last edit: by JMKZHI.

exhaust interchangeability 27 Jun 2006 09:14 #57491

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
It appears that you have already checked at the Zephyr Zone (or at least someone with the same name and bike has), but did you read the post that says the GPz750 and Zephyr 750 share the same motor? Ignore the person that says the 83-85 GPz750 was not sold in the US :laugh:

If the GPz750 and the Zephyr 750 do indeed use the same motor, then any of the KZ650/KZ750/GPz750 (air cooled) models should fit the cylinder head, may have to mod it to clear the frame though :)
KD9JUR

exhaust interchangeability 27 Jun 2006 10:47 #57518

• tarheel365
  • User
yep thats me.

it seems that most people there are from Europe where they have a handful of options for the exhaust.

after looking at some gpz pics. it looks like it will have the best fit.

although having a Muzzy sportbike exhaust would be pretty sweet...the passenger footpegs may be in the way.

my only wish is that they had a 4-4 exhaust for the 750s

• Page: