Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Side case cover bolts 19 Jun 2006 08:10 #55473

• cool_goob
  • cool_goob's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have posted earlier for the starter on the KZ 440. It is becoming appearent that I will have to use a impact driver on 2 of the screws on the side case covers on the engine, before I can remove the starter.
I have 2 quick questions:

1) Where can I find replacement screws's?

2) Is it ok to use a impace driver on the side cover? Is that the best method or should I drill the screw head off and use a screw extractor?

Thank you...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Side case cover bolts 19 Jun 2006 11:38 #55507

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I don't know where you can find replacement screws. I don't use screws for my case covers. I use stainless 6mm socket head bolts. You can buy "kits" through a company like www.z1enterprises.com for many bike models. If a "kit" isn't available, you can remove and measure your phillips screws for length (they are 6mm with 1.0 pitch) and order them from Maryland Metrics in stainless/socket head. Don't buy zinc or plain steel due to rust.

You ask if you should use an impact driver on the side cover. Do you mean the screws that hold the side cover in place? If so, the answer is yes. A hand impact driver with the CORRECT phillips bit is the ONLY way you can get most cover fasteners off that haven't been off for a long time. If you mean should you hit the side cover itself with the impact driver, I doubt that will do much good.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: