• Page:

TOPIC:

Head Bolt Torque Specs- on a ZN700 13 Jun 2006 16:13 #54304

• andrewingr
  • andrewingr's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello,

I've misplaced my manual, and I need to assemble my head. The bike's an 84 ZN700 LTD, which I understand has the same (or very similar) engine as the KZ.

Anybody know the cam cap and head bolt torque specs?

TIA
Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Head Bolt Torque Specs- on a ZN700 19 Jun 2006 16:20 #55558

• andrewingr
  • andrewingr's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Bump?

Head Bolt Torque Specs- on a ZN700 19 Jun 2006 19:10 #55615

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
You are, correct it basically IS a KZ.

Since Kawi added the shaft drive to a KZ engine and installed the whole shebang in a crusier/LTD style frame (which was basically a rough prototype for the VN700/VN750 Vulcans - my ZN700 sitting next to my wifes VN750 from about 30-/+ feet away are identical in styling, and mainly differ in that one is an air cooled inline-4 and the other a water cooled v-twin), they decided to give it a new moniker since it was in escense an entirely new model.

IIRC, the base manual for the ZN700 and ZN750 was just a small blurb in the back of the KZ750 Spectre manual.
Basically it listed the differences in the KZ and ZN models as far as specs.
I copied the pages pertaining to the ZN out of one about two years ago. But looking through the pages, unfortunately I don't see any reference to the head or cam cap bolt torque specs specifically for the ZN's. So my guess would be that they are identical to the Spectre since they aren't listed seperately from it.
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

Head Bolt Torque Specs- on a ZN700 20 Jun 2006 06:13 #55683

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
In general, the 8mm studs on a 700 will use the same torque as the 8mm studs on a Z1 (more or less). The nuts on a Z1 use washers. Copper on all studs on most bikes but some seem to have steel washers on the center studs and copper used only on the outer four on some. The way these bikes are torqued, is initial torque is 18 ft/lbs torqued in a specific pattern then 25 ft/lbs on the retorque. The pattern will likely be similar as well and is used to ensure even snugging of the head/cylinder:

(I had to use periods between stud numbers to maintain spacing on page)

#13 and #14 above are the two 6mm hex bolts which should be torqued to 8.5 ft/lbs. The torque spec for a 77-80 KZ1000 is the same except the 2nd stage tightening is to 29 ft/lbs rather than 25 ft/lbs. I have a KZ750 (four cylinder) Clymers in my shop and will edit this post if there is any radical difference in the manner and spec you torque to on a 750/700.

Post edited by: wiredgeorge, at: 2006/06/20 09:16
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: