• Page:

TOPIC:

Clutch Plate Bolt Torque Specs?? 07 Jun 2006 15:25 #52687

• davidnard
  • davidnard's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi All,

anyone know how tight I'm supposed to make the 4 bolts that hold the springs and clutch plate on? I think I may not have them tight enough and that's why my bike won't do anything but sit in neutral (or at least i hope its that simple). and also, anyone have suggestions as to how to hold the clutch plate so it doesnt spin when I tight the bolts? Special tool or can I makeshift something?

Thanks in advance
Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Clutch Plate Bolt Torque Specs?? 08 Jun 2006 08:03 #52896

• lifeliberty
  • User
not sure about your particular bike, but the clutch spring keepers on a 2000 honda F4 on need like 9 ft lb of torque. had a friend torque them way too much and snapped one when he tried removing it. had to get a entire new clutch hub because of it. and to keep the clutch from spinning you can either get a clutch tool that holds the clutch basket or you can put the bike in gear while you tighten them.

Post edited by: lifeliberty, at: 2006/06/15 15:06

Clutch Plate Bolt Torque Specs?? 08 Jun 2006 08:05 #52899

• lifeliberty
  • User
and as far s your bike doing nothing, explain more about what is happening, not sure what you mean. maybe check the cable and cluth actuator is working correctly. is the clutch slipping? why did you get into the clutch in the first place?

Post edited by: lifeliberty, at: 2006/06/08 11:08

Clutch Plate Bolt Torque Specs?? 08 Jun 2006 13:01 #53010

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Those are 6mm bolts held captive by spring pressure. I doubt you need to torque them at all but 10 ft/lbs seems like more than enough. The purpose of the springs is to return a pressure plate pushed outward. If your clutch is not working, the torque on those bolts isn't the issue; adjustment is. There is a spiral mechanism mostly likely on the other side of the bike from the clutch which pushes a rod into the clutch pusher which pushes the plates outward. There should be some sort of nut and flat head screw adjusted on your countershaft cover somewhere to adjust the throw of the rod. If I had the bike in front of me, I could figure out what type adjustment is needed after loosening the locknut and turning the screw but since I don't, I can't. You might want to check a manual for your bike on "clutch adjustment".
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Clutch Plate Bolt Torque Specs?? 08 Jun 2006 13:33 #53022

• gas
  • User

Clutch Plate Bolt Torque Specs?? 16 Jun 2006 19:13 #55031

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
The link that Gas provided tells you everything you could want to know about KZ400/440's, including links to download manuals.
KD9JUR

Clutch Plate Bolt Torque Specs?? 17 Jun 2006 10:55 #55156

• davidnard
  • davidnard's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Thanks for the responses guys!

Well the problem is that the bike acts like the clutch lever is depressed constantly. when its running and can freely shift from neutral to 1st and vice versa. bike makes the typical small click and lurch that I fell when I shift into first, but I would expect it to stall out since I'm not holding in he lever. Keeps on purrin tho...Have tried several different approach to clutch adjustment with the worm gear, but nothing seems to allay the problem. Thought?s

• Page: