Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Installing wiseco pistons and pins in fresh cylinders- lube? 27 May 2006 10:54 #50451

• Trav
  • Trav's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I am just curious what everyone would recommend as pre-lube for assembly of the cylinder block.

I would think some thicker oil (gear oil) would do the trick, and some assembly lube on the new piston pins / pin bosses? I know about STP but someone had told me its alright but will smoke until it burns off. We tend to use a 50/50 mix of that and engine oil on the aircooled aircraft engines That I've assembled at work.

I assume basically lube it up with something, and it should be fine? IE if I were going to start it ASAP after assembly, even the same weight engine oil would be fine? I'll probably go with the gear oil or STP/engine oil mix though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Installing wiseco pistons and pins in fresh cylinders- lube? 27 May 2006 11:17 #50456

• Mark Wing
  • User
  • Thank you received: 22
I just use 50 WT motor oil
Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

Installing wiseco pistons and pins in fresh cylinders- lube? 27 May 2006 11:21 #50457

• MDawnz1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 27
DONT use gear lube !!!!!!!
Use assembly lube for the pins and engine oil on the pistons and rings.

AND make SURE everything is CLEAN ........

Wash parts with soap and water first.
(NOT the rings)
1974 Z1a, still 903

Installing wiseco pistons and pins in fresh cylinders- lube? 27 May 2006 12:04 #50465

• APE Jay
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 58
After you wash the block (do not allow it to air dry, it will rust), get a clean white rag and put some of the same motor oil on it that you will be running. Wipe the bores with it. It should discolor the rag. Keep doing this until the rag no longer shows residue from the bore. Leave it like that and assemble it.

Jay

Installing wiseco pistons and pins in fresh cylinders- lube? 27 May 2006 12:46 #50473

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
  • Thank you received: 50
1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

Installing wiseco pistons and pins in fresh cylinders- lube? 30 May 2006 13:20 #50944

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Guitargeek, Is the Kentucky Jelly recomended by Kawasaki for rings? Does it help with heat disburtion? I thought I had read somewhere it was only recomended for the "shaft" model?

Installing wiseco pistons and pins in fresh cylinders- lube? 30 May 2006 13:57 #50950

• KawasakiJockey
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
dont use the STP. Did that once and I think it stuck the rings because it smoked. Overheated the engine and the smoking stopped. That was about 15 yrs ago and ever since I use motor oil on any engine.

Installing wiseco pistons and pins in fresh cylinders- lube? 30 May 2006 16:06 #50972

• kawsakiman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
i personally use atf cause it burns off so quick
someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

Installing wiseco pistons and pins in fresh cylinders- lube? 30 May 2006 21:12 #51040

• wireman
  • Visitor
BARNEYHYPHEN wrote:

Guitargeek, Is the Kentucky Jelly recomended by Kawasaki for rings? Does it help with heat disburtion? I thought I had read somewhere it was only recomended for the "shaft" model?

you guys are twisted,i love it!!!!!!!!:S :blink: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Installing wiseco pistons and pins in fresh cylinders- lube? 31 May 2006 20:04 #51291

• 77kz700?
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I agree with Mdawnz1, I just used this exact procedure and it worked just fine.

• Page: