• Page:

TOPIC:

More Kick Starter Issues 24 May 2006 20:49 #49913

• CliffordBRD
  • CliffordBRD's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
79 650B. All stock.

The kickstarter has been mostly reliable, but from time to time it seemed to. . . miss. I would initiate a down stroke and it might not do very much. Try again and it would turn the engine as designed.

The other day I tried to use the kick start and it made a pop noise on the down stroke. Tried again and though it makes a noise and returns to the stowed 12:00 position, it didn't turn the engine. Repeated attempts makes the same noise but again no turn of the engine.

Tried alternating between electric and kick start. The result was the kick start MIGHT turn the engine 1 time only, then back to the paragraph above.

Ideas? Broke some teeth perhaps? Oh, and if you tell me I have to break the case to fix this, tell me gently.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More Kick Starter Issues 24 May 2006 21:15 #49919

• gr8funbikes
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
well sorry to say it but you may have to crack it apart:( . There is a spring in there that keeps tension against two gears and it sounds like that may have broken or the 20 tooth kickstart gear may have something wrong with it. good luck
82 KZ 750 CSR Twin

More Kick Starter Issues 25 May 2006 06:26 #49971

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The kicker shaft and gear that engages 1st gear are pretty stout and they are inside the engine cases. Outside and under the cover is a spring that goes over the kicker shaft. This spring is what returns the kicker lever. It has a spacer between it and the shaft. There are four screws retaining the kicker cover. First, buy a new gasket and drain your oil. Use and IMPACT DRIVER to break the screws loose. it is pretty likely they have never been otherwise removed and will stick and you will strip the Phillips head case screws with a regular screwdriver. A hand impact driver should cost under $20 and Craftsman/Sears sells a good one. Harbor Freight drivers cost less than $10. In any case, you will get a number of bits with the driver. The HF driver gives you some long bits. I THINK a #2 bit is correct but fit the phillips head bits in the screw head for best fit. Anyway, once you have the screws out, pry the cover off... Scrape and clean the gasket mating surfaces (OH YEAH, DRAIN OIL!!!!). Then pull out the spacer and inspect the kicker spring. Is is broken? Are both of its ends in the holes they seat in? If not replace or repair. If you pull the spring off, push the kicker lever down all the way to reset it on its internal stops and put the spring in first. Put the one end in its hole and twist it counterclockwise with some pliers and seat the other end it its hole then put the spacer back in. Then you can reassemble. If that doesn't fix it, you will need to split the cases. Before you do, you will need a gasket set and I would have a new kick start assembly on hand. See eBay for that.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: