Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Clutch help needed 24 May 2006 17:21 #49831

• Sweet Back
  • Sweet Back's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Ok, i just switched motors, and am having what I think are clutch adjustment issues. When ever I take the bike out, the clutch cable feels like it breaks, but doesn't. It seems like the piece at the end of the cable, motor end, is popping out. When I tear back in to it, read the manual, and set it as it states, it still happens. I'm assuming its an adjustment issue but can't seem to dial it in. If any one can give me some suggestions about where to start from, settings on the adjusters and the adjusting screw it would be helpful. Its a 93 kz 1000p.

Post edited by: Sweet Back, at: 2006/05/24 20:24
1996 KZ1000P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Clutch help needed 26 May 2006 14:57 #50312

• Sweet Back
  • User
All good now. Just had to pull it all apart, start from the beginning.
1996 KZ1000P

Clutch help needed 26 May 2006 21:08 #50382

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
Ok...here's what You do...pull it all apart and start from the beginning...

:silly:
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Clutch help needed 27 May 2006 16:13 #50494

• racer54
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 114
Sandy...with Super Mechanics like you, that is why we get on here to find answers to our problems. Such insight, such great mechanical knowledge, such wisdom in the workings of internal combustion engines. I'm so glad we have such smart guys like you here to help us in our time of need. Give yourself a big pat on the back!!! LOL
1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

Clutch help needed 27 May 2006 16:15 #50495

• racer54
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 114
Sandy...how do you like those .410 cams? Are they touchy on the street? Peaky? Thinking about putting in a set in mine but don't want anything that is "racy" for the street on this bike. Low end power loss? How does it pull from idle?
1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

Clutch help needed 27 May 2006 16:32 #50496

• neilage66
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Hey Sweetback: Had the same thing (exactly) happen to me earlier this season when I was adjusting my clutch. Turned out the factory service manual from Kawasaki was wrong and my Kawasaki owner's manual was right. The FSM said to loosen the cable and lock nut at the adjustment screw. Then, turn the clutch adjustment screw clockwise till resistance and back off 1/2 turn then tighten locknut...wrong. OM said to turn adjustment screw counter-clockwise till resistance and back off 1/4 turn...right!
On the upside, I learned what it takes to ride for several miles into town with a "broken" clutch cable. Intersections with red lights can be tricky! ;)

Clutch help needed 30 May 2006 00:18 #50868

• Sweet Back
  • User
Sandy, what can I say? You are dead on. So...insightful. LOL

Basically just made everything completely loose. All adjusters, and bolts and screws and cables. Apparently I had made my mind loose before attempting this. I love how the mechanic at the local dealership was sure it was a bad clutch. Had me lookin at the manual to see what was involved. Can't blame him, he didn't see it. But still, you gotta wonder.
1996 KZ1000P

• Page: