Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Adjusted valve clearances--now get a loud clacking noise 22 May 2006 14:26 #49187

• btchalice
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
ive done lots of valve adjustments but none of them were set at top center ive always turned the motor to where i had the best clearance for each valve individually and just do one valve at a time. might be worth a try?
Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Adjusted valve clearances--now get a loud clacking noise 22 May 2006 20:36 #49318

• Skyman
  • Skyman's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
  • Thank you received: 3
Okay, so I went back and started over from the beginning, being very careful to follow each step exactly as instructed. Now the clacking noise is gone. I thought had done it right the first, second, and third time. But somehow, I must have missed something each time.

Thanks everyone for your help. You pointed me in the right direction and helped me get it right. :woohoo:

Now about the carbs... :pinch: I'll save that question for later...in a different forum.
West Linn, OR

Adjusted valve clearances--now get a loud clacking noise 22 May 2006 21:55 #49347

• newbikekiller
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Just for everyones info, the top ends on the 400/440's with the locknut and screw style valve adjusters are actually very quite compared to our 4 cylinders.

It was very disconcerting and I thought something was wrong with my bike for a long time moving from the 400 to the 650 because of all the noise.

Peter

• Page: