Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Changing carb holders 10 Oct 2005 16:47 #487

• Samwell
  • Samwell's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm replacing some very old,hardened,cracked, poorly repaired with electrical tape carb holders on my kz1000a2. Despite their condition they came off easily enough. Now that I have some nice pliable new ones, do I need to do anything to the mounting surface, other than a little scrub off? No gasket sealer or anything is required?

PS: I found some new stainless steel fasteners that really smarten things up!

Sam
--
Current Rides: 2013 BMW R1200GSW, 1972 BMW R75/5
Current Project: 1978 KZ1000A2: Supercrank'd by Falicon, APE studs and nuts, Dyna Green coils, powder coated frame and fenders, Stainless brake lines, dual front discs, pods, Kerker Exhaust, 1075cc with JE pistons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Changing carb holders 10 Oct 2005 16:50 #491

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
Are your new boots brand new ones that have never been mounted? If so then no, you do not need to use any sealant, just make sure the sealing surfaces are clean.

If they have been previously installed use a thin layer of your favorite Permatex (I recommend #2 non-drying type).

Good luck!
Get right or get left! <*{{{><

Changing carb holders 10 Oct 2005 16:54 #494

• Samwell
  • Samwell's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
yep, they are brand new from the fine folks at Z1 Enterprises. Thanks for the fast reply!

Sam
--
Current Rides: 2013 BMW R1200GSW, 1972 BMW R75/5
Current Project: 1978 KZ1000A2: Supercrank'd by Falicon, APE studs and nuts, Dyna Green coils, powder coated frame and fenders, Stainless brake lines, dual front discs, pods, Kerker Exhaust, 1075cc with JE pistons

Changing carb holders 11 Oct 2005 07:51 #658

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
You can install as-is or you can run a bead of RTV on the mating surface before bolting them up to the engine. Just don't use so much that the squish will put the RTV in the intake runners to the combustion chambers. I don't use RTV on my carburetor test bikes as I remove and reinstall the intake manifolds fairly frequently but since yours likely won't come off often, the extra seal won't do any harm.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: