Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Head pipe, exhaust, repair question... 28 Oct 2005 08:53 #4906

• 77KZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Thats exactly what I mean, use a regular hammer, or mallet... not a slide hammer. sorry for the confusion.
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Head pipe, exhaust, repair question... 28 Oct 2005 10:46 #4934

• Wolfman@SparksAmerica
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
The talk of the slide hammer, also included studs that are tack welded into the dented area, thus allowing you to pull the dent. that is the way I would attack it as if you don't have a good welder or a good friend with a good welder you will create a bigger hole when trying to fill the small hole you drilled to insert the punch. remember exhaust pipe is very small gauge metal.

Head pipe, exhaust, repair question... 28 Oct 2005 13:47 #4977

• Duck
  • Duck's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
Dr. Phillis said, "brass stud". I am going to try some 1/8 or 3/16 brass rod and just braze it to the pipe and use the slide hammer. If it's that thin that I have to worry about burning a hole while welding, the brass should be plenty tough for pulling it out. I've been soldering for 40 years and am damn good at it. Electronics, plumbing, sheet metal. Just started brazing. It's the same thing, but strangely different. The art seems to be in pickng the right flux and filler and I'm still finger painting stick men when it comes to that. Other than that, it's heat management, just like soldering and as I'm learning, welding.

There's no down side with these generally crappy pipes.

I have been teaching myself welding and managed to join a couple of inches of 20 guage sheet, radially, to a 3/8 rod the other day. I really need a better gas torch. This harbor freight POS is a PITA to set a decent flame on. Once set it seems to hold pretty well. I'm still having trouble getting a decent start with the MIG. Once I get going I can make a decent bead but the first 1/2 inch or so looks like crap. Not good if all one wants is a 1/2 inch bead :-) Thanks to a very generous landlord for letting me use his welding stuff. Gonna save up and buy him a TIG adapter just so I can play with it.

Sorting out valve train first. Then find/fix problem that sent PO to valve train, ride a bit, then pipes.

-Duck

Head pipe, exhaust, repair question... 19 Nov 2005 21:59 #9112

• wireguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
i agree with the king(GEORGE)if its fairly small dent clean the header up and paint it.the problem with headers is they rust from the inside out,so unless this is a fairly new header you might be opening a big can of worms by drilling holes in your pipe and trying to weld it back together.if you are really worried about the dents clean all the rust and paint from the area and braze a 10d nail in the center of dent(dont get it too hot)clamp a pair of junk visegrips on the end of nail sideways and use a hammer to pull the dent out by hitting outward on visegrips take your time,you might need to tack the nail in couple differant places.its not as hi-tech as a studgun but a torch is easier to come by,you can also try it with a mig but the pipe will have to be real clean! hope this helps,happy wrenching

• Page: