• Page:

TOPIC:

Head pipe, exhaust, repair question... 27 Oct 2005 03:40 #4598

• Duck
  • Duck's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
The GPz I got this Sunday has an old and pretty ratty set of kerker head pipes. The are nice in that the clear the oild filter without being too low. They are not nice in that they are dented up a bit at the lower bend jyst before the collector.

How would one repair this, or where might one take it for repair. Typical cost?

Thanks.

-Duck

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Head pipe, exhaust, repair question... 27 Oct 2005 05:49 #4613

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
If, by repair, you mean can the dents in the head pipe be removed... I doubt it. They can be filled in and painted or something but pulling dents in an exhaust tube wouldn't be very easy. Most KZs/Zs etc have dents in that area... clean the pipes and paint and no one will notice till you get enough money for a new exhaust system.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Head pipe, exhaust, repair question... 27 Oct 2005 06:50 #4631

• 77KZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
To get the dents out, drill a hole in the pipe on the opposide side of the dent, then use a small rod of some sort to pop the dent back out (hitting the rod with a small hammer). (You may have to heat the pipe a bit.) When finished weld the drill hole, and grind flat.
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

Head pipe, exhaust, repair question... 27 Oct 2005 07:17 #4637

• wiredgeorge
  • User
77KZ650 - Have you tried this yourself personally? The method you refer to might work for sheet metal but I would be curious as to how well it works with multiwall exhaust tubing. I wonder how you will pull the dent out... just stick something in the hole and pull? Just curious...
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Head pipe, exhaust, repair question... 27 Oct 2005 08:03 #4644

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
George-

Head pipes are multiwall? These kerker look like single wall. Guess I could drill a hole and see. Easy enough to plug afterwards.Dents are in and aroud bend that is just in front of the collector. Problem with having bike and workshop 42 miles from my house is I can't just go out and look at it when a question occurs. Upside is renting from a friendly machine shop and low rent :-)

BTW, if anyone needs any work done that requires a 3-axis CNC mill with 24x48 inch table, my workshop landlord is an experienced aerospace machinist and will quote from autocad and hand drawings or a faxed sketch. Remember, tighter tolerance and finer finish both = more $ so don't put in any tighter tolerances than you need.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. is his email
770-704-7558 is phone and fax.
It's a small shop.
John Lorber.
He rides a CB750 Custom.

IIRC, setup and machine time is about $50/hour.

-Duck

Head pipe, exhaust, repair question... 27 Oct 2005 11:52 #4682

• John68
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I use a resistance type welder to tack brass studs onto the pipe, then a special type of slide hammer that locks onto the studs with a knurled cam.
I can really get metal straight, to the point where no filler is required, but that type of situation is reserved for powdercoating and chrome canidates and exhaust as you mention, since it is fairly expensive to do. plus, to get it metalfinished, so that no fillers are used, the headerpipe would have to be removed from the bike, so that you have access to the inside. typical dents like that @$38 per hour usually run just under $100, but when it's done, it's straight. I used to do this all the time with a regular stick welder on dirtbike exhaust. always used to crush up the pipes on my old 1978 RM125.

If you take it to a bodyshop, I am sure they'd be able to do what I just mentioned.

Head pipe, exhaust, repair question... 27 Oct 2005 13:06 #4700

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
Thanks.
I hadn't thought of applying slide hammer to pipes.
-Bob

Head pipe, exhaust, repair question... 27 Oct 2005 13:40 #4709

• Fossil
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
The dent can be neatly cut out and a section of exhaust tubing cut to match, welded in, and ground smooth.

Head pipe, exhaust, repair question... 27 Oct 2005 17:29 #4745

• Z-doctor
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Small dents,don't worry about it!
Medium dents,I go with a slide hammmer,but some other good ideas here.
Crushed,I have found some good automotive exhaust guys can handle cutting out a section and replacing it,as long as they can get aroud the pipe with the mig welder.

Head pipe, exhaust, repair question... 27 Oct 2005 17:44 #4752

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
  • Thank you received: 1
You might check with these guys...I have heard nothing but good things about them, but I'm not sure if they do street exhaust.

www.piperepair.com/
Get right or get left! <*{{{><

Head pipe, exhaust, repair question... 27 Oct 2005 21:13 #4838

• 77KZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
George, on single wall pipes, the drill hole is on the opposite side of the pipe that the dent is on, then you tap (from the inside of the pipe) on the dent to force it to come back out. Haven't done it personally, but I heard the trick at my local drag strip.
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

Head pipe, exhaust, repair question... 28 Oct 2005 05:39 #4864

• wiredgeorge
  • User
If you drill a hole opposite of the dent it will be on the inside of a radius. How does the slide hammer work where it can punch the dent outward? (I have never seen a slide hammer in person). How would it be different than drilling a hole and putting a punch in the hole to beat the dent out with a regular hammer?
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: