Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Should I ditch my KZ twin for a 4-banger? 26 Oct 2005 19:42 #4549

• Bad cop, No donut!
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey...I recenly had a chance to kick over a 750 2 cyl kaw. Nice bike, nice size, and awesome sound! I would take a parallel twin ...anything!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Should I ditch my KZ twin for a 4-banger? 26 Oct 2005 20:08 #4553

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 208
Bad cop, No donut! wrote:

Hey...I recenly had a chance to kick over a 750 2 cyl kaw. Nice bike, nice size, and awesome sound! I would take a parallel twin ...anything!!

That could be arranged, I'm about 80 miles away :D
KD9JUR

Should I ditch my KZ twin for a 4-banger? 27 Oct 2005 02:09 #4588

• ibsen22000
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
masospaghetti wrote:

I've heard almost all bad things about the 750 twin model, which I have, and just wanted some opinions on whether to keep it or sell it in favor of a four-cylinder KZ or something smaller/newer.

I've heard the balance shafts are especially troublesome...and that once the chain develops slack in it, theres no way to fix it other than to tear down the entire engine?

Also, do the 4-cyl's make more horsepower than the twin? Mine is stock at 55 HP. I was eyeing in particular a KZ700S model as a potential replacement.

Take a look around on this board. What makes you believe there are more trouble with a twin engine than an inline four? It looks like people have got just as much trouble with the 4 cylinder engines.;) The twin is much easier to work on though.

I don't own a 750 twin (I have a 400 twin), but I rode one only a few weeks back. The real difference is more in the nature of the engines. And the 750 twin have got more character than an inline four. And 55 hp in a twin can't be compared to 55 in a four cylinder engine. The torque are very different. And the twin have got power all the way from the bottom, while the inline four needs to be revved. And yes, the twin have got vibrations, but so has the four, only different.
But if you are looking for a bike to tune, and wan't to be the fastest boy on the street, keep away from the twin. It is buildt for other purposes.

Should I ditch my KZ twin for a 4-banger? 29 Oct 2005 21:29 #5271

• agawam
  • User
I have a 79 twin and it's my rider got some other bikes but the 750b is what I like for just cruzin if I need excitement I have a 500mach III but not for cruzin,I also have a 650sr 4cyl and a KZ700 but if you see me on the road I'll more than likely be on the twin,I recently put a pair of glasspacs on and it sounds absolutley awsome, car glasspacs the smallest I could find, changed the whole sound of it, yes my favorite cycle hope it never wears out, always looking for parts and maybe another one

Should I ditch my KZ twin for a 4-banger? 30 Oct 2005 04:31 #5313

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 306
Nasospaghetti:

No, keep your 750T AND buy another bike, if you must. WAIT! Sell me you 750...yeah, that's the answer...
Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Should I ditch my KZ twin for a 4-banger? 30 Oct 2005 07:42 #5337

• CruisingRam
  • User
  • Thank you received: 15
I go riding with a couple of good friends with XS650s and a twin 750 Z- they are great bikes- would love to put the Kaw twin in my collection more than the Yam- they both make awesome nostalgia customs- I like the Kawi more for the vintage Cafe look and the yam for the chopper.

Keep the twin, you already own it, nothing wrong with it- look for a 4 around, you will find one cheap- go for the big liter if you can- if you are going for four- go big!

Post edited by: CruisingRam, at: 2005/10/30 10:42
1975 Z1 B 900- soon to be heavily modded
Pahoa, Hawaii is my new hom
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.

Should I ditch my KZ twin for a 4-banger? 31 Oct 2005 08:47 #5599

• masospaghetti
  • masospaghetti's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
What is your opinion on the KZ700 model? It's a 1984, 8000 miles, the guy is asking $900. I might go look at this this week if I decide for sure if I want to sell my twin or not.

I'm a little concerned that they only made it one year...is it difficult to find parts for it?

Keeping the twin AND buying another bike isn't really an option for me...I'm a poor student :(

Post edited by: masospaghetti, at: 2005/10/31 11:48

Should I ditch my KZ twin for a 4-banger? 31 Oct 2005 09:17 #5604

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 306
Positive Aspects:
(1)only made one year, but based on the tried-and-true 750 (four) engine.
(2)shares body parts with the 1982 GPz750 and 1983 KZ750L
(3)low miles
(4)handles well for a 22 yr old motorcycle
(5)$900.00 might be a great price if all is well with the bike

Negative Aspects:
(1)only made one year
(2)shares body parts with the 1982 GPz750 and 1982 KZ750L (but both are getting rarer)
(3)22 yr old motorcycle (great if you are looking to keep for a while)
(4)$900.00 might be not so good if it is a non-runner
Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Should I ditch my KZ twin for a 4-banger? 31 Oct 2005 11:02 #5636

• TheLonesomeTwin
  • User
It's been too long since I looked in here!

I'd make 2 points about the twin:
1. My forum has a member who traded in his Ninja to keep the Twin going.
2. Said forum is currently down because the traffic exceeded my hosts bandwith limit and I've had to find a new host. Folk who've got one feel attached and want to talk about it.

The bike is all about feel. Yes it is hard to get spares, and if you do get balancer probs you are in deep shit. OTOH the feel is everything, it's like a Harley that can go fast, the sound is amazing and the bike is just so chilled. It's up to you whether that's what you want.

Oh, and thanks KZSCI for the vote of confidence.

Should I ditch my KZ twin for a 4-banger? 19 Nov 2005 22:08 #9113

• wireguy
  • User
yes 900s make much more power

Should I ditch my KZ twin for a 4-banger? 20 Nov 2005 11:56 #9188

• Cactus
  • User
Try riding a 4 first. The zed twin was a bit of a loser from the weight-performance point of view at a time when (since the '69 cb750)twins were going down to 4's. I've heard of one guy been riding his for 20 years from new and still going, no major hassles.

I find exhaust note is a big thing for me - i just love that rip you get from a well tuned 4, that pick up at 7000rpm and that smoothness from as low as 1500, but the zed twin has beautiful lines and 2 less carbs to balance and 2 less cylinders to replace - so like it for what it is, but I would recommend you get some saddle time on the 650 or 750 4 in order to get a good comparison.

Spares for the twin are not so readily available, but like others say you can pick them up pretty cheap.

Should I ditch my KZ twin for a 4-banger? 20 Nov 2005 13:27 #9197

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 208
Different strokes for different folks :D

I prefer the exhaust note of the 750 twins, as well as the lighter weight, my 79 750B weighed 440 lbs full of fuel and my 80 750G twin weighs 480 lbs full of fuel. Compare that to any of the KZ four cylinder models :)

Forget performance parts for the twin though, no one sells any so you have to make your own, but anyone can buy hp, it takes a special person to do it themselves :D

I have a garage full of spare parts (thanks to eBay), aquired at much less cost compared to four cylinder parts.

But I do have a 750 four that I use when I feel "The need for speed" :D :D
KD9JUR