Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Should I ditch my KZ twin for a 4-banger? 25 Oct 2005 17:13 #4224

• masospaghetti
  • masospaghetti's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I've heard almost all bad things about the 750 twin model, which I have, and just wanted some opinions on whether to keep it or sell it in favor of a four-cylinder KZ or something smaller/newer.

I've heard the balance shafts are especially troublesome...and that once the chain develops slack in it, theres no way to fix it other than to tear down the entire engine?

Also, do the 4-cyl's make more horsepower than the twin? Mine is stock at 55 HP. I was eyeing in particular a KZ700S model as a potential replacement.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Should I ditch my KZ twin for a 4-banger? 25 Oct 2005 18:26 #4252

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
masospaghetti wrote:

I've heard almost all bad things about the 750 twin model, which I have, and just wanted some opinions on whether to keep it or sell it in favor of a four-cylinder KZ or something smaller/newer.

I've heard the balance shafts are especially troublesome...and that once the chain develops slack in it, theres no way to fix it other than to tear down the entire engine?

Also, do the 4-cyl's make more horsepower than the twin? Mine is stock at 55 HP. I was eyeing in particular a KZ700S model as a potential replacement.

People who own 4s will tell you that you need to ditch the twin. Yes, most 4s have more HP. If you want HP, you need the 4...

Twins are all about feel and attitude, right? B)
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Should I ditch my KZ twin for a 4-banger? 25 Oct 2005 18:27 #4253

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Yes the four cylinder models make more hp than the twin.

Actually, I have never heard of anyone having problems with the balance shafts, have you?

If you don't want it, you can send it to me and I'll add it to my collection :D

I like the 750 twins, actually traded my brother a 82 KZ1000 CSR (looked like it just came off the showroom floor) for a twin. I'll admit to having a GPz750 four (everyone needs a quasi sport bike), but the 750 twins are still my favorite.

My early motorcyle days were spent on BSA, Triumph, AJS, Ariel, Matchless, and Norton twins, so maybe I'm just biased :P

Post edited by: steell, at: 2005/10/25 21:28
KD9JUR

Should I ditch my KZ twin for a 4-banger? 26 Oct 2005 04:42 #4337

• gs1100g
  • User
Well the wife has a twin here in Aust and has done 115,000 kms without any major work so can't see a reason why !!
Trevor gs1100g:)

Should I ditch my KZ twin for a 4-banger? 26 Oct 2005 04:56 #4340

• Lorcan
  • User
  • Speed Loony
  • Thank you received: 59
steell wrote:
My early motorcyle days were spent on BSA, Triumph, AJS, Ariel, Matchless, and Norton twins, so maybe I'm just biased[/quote]

Or old...:blink: ;)
760cc - 8.69@162mph
810cc, 211mph www.750turbo.com
www.stormdragbike.com

Should I ditch my KZ twin for a 4-banger? 26 Oct 2005 05:52 #4350

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Insight on the British People:

There are four kinds of people in the UK -

First, there were the Scots who kept the Sabbath - and everything else they could lay their hands on.

Then there were the Welsh - who prayed on their knees and their neighbors.

Thirdly there were the Irish who never knew what they wanted - but were willing to fight for it anyway.

Lastly there were the English who considered themselves self-made men, - thus relieving the Almighty of a terrible responsibility.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Should I ditch my KZ twin for a 4-banger? 26 Oct 2005 07:28 #4378

• Shaner
  • User
What have you heard that is so bad? Other than the balancer chain(which can take forever to wear out and you'll have the case apart to do a cam chain before then anyways). The only other thing maintenance related might be the tach cable seal.

Maybe the vibration(which is alot less than the British twins) But if you don't want vibration get a Goldwing.

Squeeky brakes? I thought that was standard issue on any KZ.

It is what it is. But I've never heard of anyone giving one up once they ride one for awhile

Jump over to Lonesome Twin's website

www.lonesometwin.co.uk/

He has alot of reviews on the bike and it should help you out.

Should I ditch my KZ twin for a 4-banger? 26 Oct 2005 07:56 #4382

• Wolfman@SparksAmerica
  • User
Heck if your mind is made up about ditching the twin there are a number of twin owners here that given the chance would take it off your hands. I for one wouldn't give up my twin for any amount of money, old and dirty but I still love the look and the feel of the 750 twin very psudo-brit bike.

Should I ditch my KZ twin for a 4-banger? 26 Oct 2005 13:54 #4468

• CB/GS/XS
  • User
Well, the Kawi 750 twin was never that popular. I don't know why. The engine was nice, and it was advanced with DOHC, but the bike looked a little top-heavy and the styling was uninspired. If you want a twin, get the Yamaha XS650. They go all day on eBay for $800-1500, you can get parts until the end of time (see MikesXS.com), and they're a wonderful bike with all the essence of motorcycling in them. Some people believe 1977 was the best year. I would buy a 1980-83, when they came with an electronic ignition. The Hitachi CV carbs though are awful for those years, and you'll just throw them away for some Mikuni VM34s or VM36s. There's a huge XS650 on-line community that spans the world. This was Yamaha's best-selling motorcycle ever.

Riding a four is a different experience altogether. It's revvy rather than torquey, and the center of gravity is higher. But a Kawi 550, 650, 760, 900 or 1000 is a heckuva bike. You can't go wrong with one, or a GS Suzy-Q of that vintage and displacement either. Have fun.

Should I ditch my KZ twin for a 4-banger? 26 Oct 2005 14:53 #4475

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
CB/GS/XS - You mentioned VM34/VM36... I have sold a couple sets of XS650 carbs and definitely recall they were CV type... perhaps BS34 or BS36? I think they will pretty much swap for KZ750 twin carbs except for possibly some interference with the petcock? I don't recall but the carbs themselves are pretty similar to the ones that came on the 750 twin.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Should I ditch my KZ twin for a 4-banger? 26 Oct 2005 17:14 #4502

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Lorcan wrote:

steell wrote:
My early motorcyle days were spent on BSA, Triumph, AJS, Ariel, Matchless, and Norton twins, so maybe I'm just biased

Or old...:blink: ;)[/quote]

That too :laugh: :laugh:

Throughout my entire life I have considered being labeled as average or normal an insult, so maybe that has something to do with my fondness for the 750 twins, as well as being old :D
KD9JUR

Should I ditch my KZ twin for a 4-banger? 26 Oct 2005 18:44 #4534

• CB/GS/XS
  • User
wiredgeorge, you mentioned the CV carbs on the XS. I believe all years came with CV carbs, with Mikunis up until '79, then the Hitachi CVs after that. The early years came with two or three different models of Mikunis but I think the BS34s came in the '77-'79 years. They were good performers. (I have them on my 1980 GS550). The Hitachis, though, really suck. It's very hard to find any parts and hard to re-jet them. Most people wanting to make some hp put on the VM34/36 carbs along with a 750 kit. I had the head ported too, which really gets the XS to wake up and run.