Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Valve Tick 10 Oct 2005 12:45 #418

• CombatTalon2
  • CombatTalon2's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Finally got the KZ registered and legal to ride on the street. I have a tick coming from the intake valve/cam lobe for the #4 cycl. I removed the Valve cover to check my cam/valve clearance and noticed that there was pools of oil and a nice oil film on every cam lobe except for #4 intake. After riding for about 5 minutes the tick goes away and im assuming its getting coated with oil at that point. Is this a common problem, or just the nature of the beast. Its the high point so natually any oil there will drain back first when its on the kick stand. Thanks

77 KZ1000B1 (LTD)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Valve Tick 10 Oct 2005 13:18 #426

• jenshhj
  • User
You have a very good ear to hear exactly where the ticking is coming from, or perhaps there is no other ticking noise from any of the other valves, in which case you should check clearances/shims. At low RPM your engine should be clicking from 1-4.

Valve Tick 10 Oct 2005 15:13 #449

• CombatTalon2
  • User
I checked all my clearances. Exhaust side were all good at .002-.003 intakes were a little looser. some right at .004"-.005" i will have to go to 2.70mm shims on 2 of the intake valves. they are both at 2.60 shims right now. Still wondering about the lack of oil untill she is fully warmed up. thanks

Valve Tick 10 Oct 2005 16:52 #492

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
  • Thank you received: 1
Did you have the engine apart at any point? Any chance of there being crud blocking the oil galleys from the jugs to the head?
Get right or get left! <*{{{><

Valve Tick 10 Oct 2005 17:00 #497

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
  • Thank you received: 1278
This is a new problem that we havn't heard of before, certainly not common to KZ's. I agree with Savedrider, check the oil passageways. Should be oil at all lobes right from the start.
KZCSI
www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

Valve Tick 10 Oct 2005 19:18 #528

• CombatTalon2
  • User
yes it could potentially be something inthe oil galley. i had the head off to replace all the cam chain idlers and the guide. also replaced all 4 intake valves...whats an easy way to find out if it is plugged (dont want to pull the head again)

Valve Tick 11 Oct 2005 07:47 #655

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The oil journals are located where the outer four engine studs go through. I suggest you remove the nuts and washers and blow them out with compressed air then pull your pan and clean the screen on your oil pump and the sludge in the bottom of the pan. Make note of any hunks of foreign stuff in there.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Valve Tick 11 Oct 2005 15:21 #770

• CombatTalon2
  • User
Thanks for the help. i will pull that nut and blow it out. I had the pan off while i had the top end pulled apart. The inner idler gear plastic stuff was sitting down in the oil pan when i pulled it the first time. Since then i cleaned out the pan, oil pump filter, and have changed the oil after i put about 70 miles on the bike. Nothing notable in the oil filter element. Im guessing i just put it back together with some junk still in there.

Thanks!

• Page: