Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

trying to figure this out 14 Apr 2006 23:14 #39630

• gr8funbikes
  • gr8funbikes's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I am trying to remove my starter clutch on my 82 750 m1 twin. I have the side cover off and removed the bolt from the alternator basket removed ( sorry cant remember exact name of part). It looks like it is all pressed on to the shaft. I guess my question is can I remove the starter clutch with out removing the engine? If so what is the best way to go about it?
Thanks to all for any info, tips, and tricks on how to do this.

BTW: I did look in the archives and could find what I was looking for.

Thank you
82 KZ 750 CSR Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

trying to figure this out 14 Apr 2006 23:42 #39633

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Yep, as a matter of fact it's easier to remove the starter clutch from a 750 twin while the engine in mounted in the bike :)
The basket thing that you are talking about is usually called the rotor, and the starter clutch (Oh no, here we go with clutches again:ohmy: ) (Referring to another thread) is fastened to the backside of the rotor by three allen head bolts (AKA socket head hex bolts).

To get the rotor off you need to thread a large bolt in the center of the rotor, and tighten it as much as possible (Put the bike in gear and stand on the brake to keep it from moving while tightening the bolt). If you are lucky the rotor will pop loose, if not, then smack the end of the bolt with a big hammer.

On the 76-80 model twins, the rear axle fits the rotor, yours uses a smaller rear axle so try the steering stem bolt.

If this don't make sense, it's because I have a Tequila headache, I'll check back in later :D
KD9JUR

trying to figure this out 15 Apr 2006 18:07 #39790

• gr8funbikes
  • User
steell:
Thank you soooooo much for the info! I really didn't want to pull the motor. You made my day.

You better go nurse that Tequila head ach. Not too sure how one of those feels since I wount touch the stuff.:sick:
82 KZ 750 CSR Twin

trying to figure this out 15 Apr 2006 20:19 #39816

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
I don't normally drink, but today was my birthday and it's kind of a tradition for me (brings back old times I guess) :D

I think the twin starter clutch is one of the easiest to remove :)
KD9JUR

trying to figure this out 15 Apr 2006 21:25 #39829

• gr8funbikes
  • User
steell:
Happy birthday!!! Thank you for your info on all my posts. Its kind of hard to find info on the 750 twins and this is my first bike so i can use all the help I san get.

Thanks again.
82 KZ 750 CSR Twin

• Page: