Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Upside down cam chain tensioner? 14 Apr 2006 18:00 #39577

• gas
  • gas's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I removed my cam chain tensioner because I striped out the upper bolt hole last spring, and used silicone as a stop gap until now. I'm taping the M6 hole out to M7, then poping it back on. After looking at Buykaw and my FSM, I realize the I had the tensioner bolted on 180 degrees incorrectly. Sitting on the bike, looking down to my right, I should have seen the tensioner lock and its locking nut. I had it the opposite way all last year. Didn't seem to do any harm as the bike ran fine all season. I'm putting it back the way I see it in the FSM after taping, but...does it really matter? Has anyone else done this?

Post edited by: gas, at: 2006/04/14 21:00

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Upside down cam chain tensioner? 14 Apr 2006 18:51 #39595

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
I hope it doesn't matter. Mine was always on the right side, but when I had it in the shop in Sept. 2004 for a refresh, she came out with the nut and adjuster on the left side. No problems so far.
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Upside down cam chain tensioner? 14 Apr 2006 19:15 #39601

• wireman
  • Visitor
as long as you can get at the bolt i see no problem with it!:whistle: goodluck,happy wrenching!

Upside down cam chain tensioner? 14 Apr 2006 20:31 #39613

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
The bolt pattern will allow You to bolt it up to the jugs either way(obviously).I noticed that years ago on My 1000 when I had the engine apart,and it looks like the 650 is the same way...kool.;)
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Upside down cam chain tensioner? 14 Apr 2006 20:47 #39615

• gas
  • gas's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Ya Sandy, I kind of remember wondering about it last year, but after adjusting the tensioner, the engine ran fine and was much quieter so I guess I forgot about it until now. I was running a little late last year and rushed a few things to get on the road. I was going to say to Rob that my tensioners block on the rod is flat as a pool table, so no, it really does not matter which way it is bolted up. Speaking of billiards, my cue ball head got a hell of a burn today while fiddling with the bike. Got a doo rag on the tool box for tomorrow!

Upside down cam chain tensioner? 15 Apr 2006 07:33 #39674

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 237
It makes no difference which way you mount it.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• Page: