Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

replace exhaust stud 14 Apr 2006 12:42 #39526

• kevco
  • kevco's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
My exhaust was leaking after I put it back on (I did use new crush gaskets) and guess I got a bit overzealous trying to tighten it down more. I snapped off one of the exhaust studs. I got a replacement from Z1 enterprises but I'm having trouble getting the old stud out.

Any tips or tricks? I tried heating it up with torch and I had two sets of vice grips clamped on but I still haven't been able to budge it. I put some kroil on it to let it soak but I'm afraid it might not do much good given the way it's angled downward so the kroil is mostly just dripping away.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

replace exhaust stud 14 Apr 2006 12:57 #39530

• fixer5000
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
try this little trick that just might work...get a can of air, heat it up good all around trying not to heat the stud...put down your torch turn the air in a can upside down and give the stud a good 30 second blast...try to loosen it...ive had great success with this method for many things...give it a try...good luck...steve

i like molson ice if it works by the way:)
1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts

replace exhaust stud 14 Apr 2006 15:40 #39557

• wireman
  • Visitor
heat up the stud and aluminum around it ,take a candle while the stud is still hot push it into where the stud and head meet so the wax melts into the threads some of the wax should work its way back into threads inside of head and break them loose.ive never tried this on an exhuast stud but it works good for removing threaded plugs from cast iron engine blocks so give it a try.:whistle: goodluck,happy wrenching!

replace exhaust stud 15 Apr 2006 04:20 #39649

• gpzrox
  • User
Can you get at it easily, like is it not around a frame rail or some such obstacle?

I ask because I have a couple of stud removers: looks about like a spark plug socket on the outside, and it works wonders. I found it the only way to get a stud out safely and it is sooo easy w/ a 3/8 socket wrench.

Either buy one or I can let you borrow mine.

Now saying that, if you break it off, you could drill and tap the hole, I did it, wasn't hard.

Louie
84 GPZ750. Modded with stock Kawasaki parts: ZR-7 shock, ZX-6 coils, GPZ1100 throttle, EN454 brake, GPZ900 fuse box, etc. and non stock: Ken Sears mirrors, K&N filter, Pirelli Sport Demons.

replace exhaust stud 16 Apr 2006 01:20 #39848

• typhoon
  • User
Weld a nut on the end of the stud, and start wiggling it back and forth slowly. Pretty soon it will come out.

Regards, Andrew.
gpzrider.com/
For all your air/liquid cooled GPZ fun!

• Page: