Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

how much should it cost to get a block bored for big bore kit? $80/hole?!! 10 Apr 2006 21:40 #38531

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
  • Thank you received: 80
My stuff's at APE as I type. Taige is updating me as it goes along. I am buying the 615cc kit from them and they are also rebuilding one of the 2 complete heads I sent them. I'm a patient customer, as in my line of work I have customer's too.
'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

how much should it cost to get a block bored for big bore kit? $80/hole?!! 11 Apr 2006 06:31 #38584

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
$80 a hole and the guy scrapes the gasket at a SMALL independent ain't that bad. The guy is going to take A LOT LONGER than APE does or a machine shop does. I use a machinist in San Antonio that charges ABOUT $150 for four holes (no gasket cleaning). A good friend named Ray is a very superior mechanic. He was the service manager of THE largest all brands dealership in South Texas till he had heart problems and he charges about $80 a hole. The reason? It just isn't what he does on a daily basis and it is super time consuming for him. He can compete with a machine shop. He does some boring business mainly on singles/dirt bikes I guess... but he is relieved when you take your four cylinder business to the big city shops. If you have the time, cylinder heads don't cost that much to ship. Use a company like APE or find the local machine shop that specializes in motorcycles. I am VERY VERY VERY leery about using a place that does car work... not so much on cylinder boring but on head work. They tend to be ham fisted and can ruin a bike's cylinder head in a heartbeat or at least cause more expense than a good bike shop would.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

how much should it cost to get a block bored for big bore kit? $80/hole?!! 11 Apr 2006 11:12 #38638

• nads.com
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
Around north dakota here its 25-35 per hole. quality engine does very quality work. These big city prices are outrageous. An auto shop BERG motor did my deck and i can see its bored off center so watch out.

• Page: