Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

how much should it cost to get a block bored for big bore kit? $80/hole?!! 10 Apr 2006 15:00 #38358

• Trav
  • Trav's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
The local guy at the small motorcycle shop (he's get a z1 engine sitting out on display and I've seen a few other KZ's around there) said that he usually charges $50/hole but since I didn't buy the kit from him, it'll be $80/hole. He did later say that he could clean the gasket material off the head and base side (for the same price.. woo. hoo. ), which is the reason I wasn't going to leave it with him today.

Is that f*@&ing outrageous, or is it just me?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

how much should it cost to get a block bored for big bore kit? $80/hole?!! 10 Apr 2006 15:09 #38360

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
$40 a hole locally, includes boring, honing, and bead blasting (if wanted).
I have read that some places are cheaper and some more expensive, depending on location.
KD9JUR

how much should it cost to get a block bored for big bore kit? $80/hole?!! 10 Apr 2006 15:19 #38361

• Trav
  • User
can i send it to you?? j/king..but maybe not!

The kicker is that "you didn't buy the kit from me, so.." bullshit. Although it probably evens out if his mark-up is like 45% ..

My neighbor works at a machine shop (mainly cars.. muscle and race engines) and they are really cool, and say they usually charge like $20/hole (they get some harleys) but said they don't have anything that small but to try this guy. I told them about how I didn't like him much from when i had my bike inspected but maybe he was having a bad day.. well apparantly not. The big local bike shop sucks ass too, but this guy really doesn't seem to be much better.

bastards.

how much should it cost to get a block bored for big bore kit? $80/hole?!! 10 Apr 2006 15:38 #38365

• DesertWizardB1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Wiseco did mine for $40 a hole.
Len

77 KZ 1000 LTD Original Owner

how much should it cost to get a block bored for big bore kit? $80/hole?!! 10 Apr 2006 16:13 #38377

• APE Jay
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 58
DesertWizardB1 wrote:

Wiseco did mine for $40 a hole.

Wiseco doesn't do it anymore.

We get $95.00 all four with piston purchase, $160 all four with your pistons.

We have been asked why we charge more if the customer supplys the pistons. We don't. We give the guy that buys the pistons from us a $65.00 discount.

Jay

how much should it cost to get a block bored for big bore kit? $80/hole?!! 10 Apr 2006 16:20 #38381

• Trav
  • User
yea.. ok.

$320 with pistons is TWICE AS MUCH as you guys charge with pistons.. and that is what guy is asking! It makes sense if it is an APE kit.. but thats just going on his markup on the kit being $120.. $30 more that he charges me per hole.

Can I send my stuff to you guys?

how much should it cost to get a block bored for big bore kit? $80/hole?!! 10 Apr 2006 16:24 #38383

• steell
  • User
The local guy will order the pistons if you pay in advance for them, he owns and operates the shop and got stuck with a Wiseco J model 1075 kit when the guy he ordered it for got killed in a bike crash prior to paying for it (he wants $300 for the kit if anyone is looking for one). He has done a couple of cylinder blocks for me. He is pretty well known nationwide for his Husky motorcycle work and restorations, he used to be a Husky dealer.

If you want his phone # PM me, he don't deal with computers so no website or e-mail :)

I think his business name is A1 Tool and Die, in Muncie IN.
KD9JUR

how much should it cost to get a block bored for big bore kit? $80/hole?!! 10 Apr 2006 16:24 #38384

• jtmcculloch
  • User
APE Jay wrote:

DesertWizardB1 wrote:
We get $95.00 all four with piston purchase, $160 all four with your pistons. Jay

OK - who is "we" and why didnt you tell me about this before I agreed to have mine done at $150.00 with piston purchace. I know I am stuck now but would be good to know for next time.
76 KZ1075
93 ZR1100
71 Moto-guzzi 750
2001 ZR-7S

how much should it cost to get a block bored for big bore kit? $80/hole?!! 10 Apr 2006 16:26 #38385

• wireman
  • Visitor
back when i was still working and people would supply their own materils i would only warranty my labor,because i had no control over what kind of material they bought.i charged more for the materials i supplied because i had my time invested chasing down the parts plus if there was a problem with the materials i was liable for the parts. ;)

how much should it cost to get a block bored for big bore kit? $80/hole?!! 10 Apr 2006 16:32 #38388

• steell
  • User
LC100 Bore and hone with piston purchase $95.00
LC150 Bore and hone with customer's pistons 160.00

From APE page
KD9JUR

how much should it cost to get a block bored for big bore kit? $80/hole?!! 10 Apr 2006 17:08 #38399

• Trav
  • User
I just looked at the page prior to being posted. I assume APE Jay is an employee (or maybe a scout to drum up business.. or accidentally both!) anyway.. looks like I might just ship the shit to California. I assume they know what they are doing and can be trusted, plus they have more at stake being a bigger company than just loosing my word of mouth to my local buddies.. which this guy had really already lost when I had my bike inspected there..

I need to see if APE offers a manual tensioner that will fit my block as well..

how much should it cost to get a block bored for big bore kit? $80/hole?!! 10 Apr 2006 17:32 #38412

• APE Jay
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 58
Wish I was an employee. They treat their people great. Once they took all of them to Pomona Raceway and paid their way through Frank Hawleys drag racing school and they got to drive super comp big block Chevy powered dragsters. And, it was a paid day off.:woohoo:

Jay (scout)

• Page: