Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

76 Z900 exhaust replacement 10 Apr 2006 13:56 #38345

• strider
  • strider's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Would it really be worth $1399 to replace the 4 into 4 stock exhaust on my 76 Z900? I really like the look, but now as I've been researching these pipes may only last 2-5 years. Maybe a 4 into 2 would be more reasonable and still keep the basic look of my bike.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

76 Z900 exhaust replacement 10 Apr 2006 14:29 #38351

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
Welcome to KZr strider.

I'd say the choice all depends on you.

Some folks want to keep the bike as original looking as possible, even if replacement parts are only available as reproductions.

And as long as you keep water/moisture from building up in them, they should last you quite a bit longer than 2 - 5 years.

For myself, I couldn't see spending more on an exhaust system than the bike itself could possibly sell for.

Swapping to a 4-into-2 or 4-into-1 exhaust system will drop a good deal of weight from the bike, and will cost you WAY less than the 4-into-4 will.
The only drawbacks you might encounter with a 4-into-1 (depending on brand) is that you might have to remove the center stand for it to fit, and also may need to remove it (again, depending on brand) to gain access to the oil drain and filter. Plus you'll also need to rejet the carbs to match the pipe = more money.

Post edited by: RetroRiceRocketRider, at: 2006/04/10 17:31
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

76 Z900 exhaust replacement 10 Apr 2006 16:03 #38374

• wireman
  • Visitor
never spend more for exhuast than bike is worth?:whistle: you sound like my wife!:woohoo: thats half the fun is spending buckets of money making it the way you like it.

76 Z900 exhaust replacement 10 Apr 2006 16:45 #38390

• Jeff.Saunders
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 181
4-4 pipes will last a good number of years if taken care of.

The rusting from the inside is typically caused by riders making short journeys and not getting the pipes hot enough to burn off any condensation.

When storing the pipe for the winter it's best to remove the pipes and spray oil into the inside to help protect them.

Look at the prices of used 4-4 exhaust systems on ebay - $800-$1200 for a used system - they do not depreciate that much if they are kept in good condition.

The 76 pipes are still available from Kawasaki. The replica pipes have been very problematic since the company in Japan switched manufacturing to China - the quality has plummeted.

Post edited by: jeff.saunders, at: 2006/04/10 19:46
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

76 Z900 exhaust replacement 11 Apr 2006 02:46 #38553

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 304
Jeff.Saunders wrote:

The 76 pipes are still available from Kawasaki. The replica pipes have been very problematic since the company in Japan switched manufacturing to China - the quality has plummeted.<br><br>Post edited by: jeff.saunders, at: 2006/04/10 19:46

What is the status of the 4into4 pipes decline, Jeff? Since you are an industry insider, what have you heard regarding the quality control issues...are they being addressed?
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

76 Z900 exhaust replacement 11 Apr 2006 04:54 #38563

• Jeff.Saunders
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 181
We had some very poor replica 4-4 pipes arrive last year - they were that bad you couldn't even mount them on the bikes. They were so twisted and distorted you could not pair the two LH pipes up and get the rear bolt holes to align with the frame mount. The welding quality was way worse than original (and the original pipe welding was not great). Some pipes even had holes in the joins where the welding was either not complete or the welder blew through the metal.

With the replica pipes there has always been different grades:
A grade - supposedly perfect
B grade - usable, but some cosmetic problems
C grade - barely usuable

I've only seem a couple of sets of A grade - most have been no better than a B+. The last batch were all F grade - totally unusable.

We may try importing a few more sets later this year - but considering the large cost to buy and import them, the risk far outways the profit - so we're very uneasy about getting them.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

76 Z900 exhaust replacement 11 Apr 2006 08:40 #38605

• 1973Z
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I replaced my originals in 2003 with a set from Sudco.com and they seem OK. The trick to avoiding rust (aside from not dumping the bike) is to keep water out of the end of the pipes. The shop manual tells you to cover the ends when washing the bike, a suggestion I have followed since putting on the new pipes. Years ago I put on a set of 4 in to 2 pipes but it sounded weird, may have needed some jetting adjustment, so I took them off. They fit real nice, though. I have all those old pipes hanging in my garage to my wife's everlasting fury, but can't bring myself to unload them.

76 Z900 exhaust replacement 11 Apr 2006 08:45 #38606

• patmann
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
1973Z wrote:
[q I have all those old pipes hanging in my garage to my wife's everlasting fury, but can't bring myself to unload them.[/quote]

When you DO get to that point.. let me know;)
The bad back and bum ticker hasn't got me down and out yet!
One can NEVER have too many Kawasaki parts!!
Pat
1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?

76 Z900 exhaust replacement 11 Apr 2006 09:59 #38617

• strider
  • strider's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
The sad thing about this bike is this is only the second set of pipes-I don't even remember when they were put on. It's been on the road every year since the day of purchase. Hopefully, we can find a decent used pipe if not the whole set.:(

Post edited by: strider, at: 2006/04/11 13:00
Attachments:

• Page: