Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

best way to do an oil cooler- gpz oil pan? 03 Apr 2006 18:54 #36532

• Trav
  • Trav's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I want (actaully I probably NEED) to add an oil cooler, as I am sticking in a wiseco 615cc kit in my 550. The GPz's all have stock oil coolers that come off the pan at the front between #2 and #3 risers, and the GPz550 is basically the same block, so the pan should bolt right up and the oil cooler should function properly, correct? I would probably try to use a larger than stock heat exchanger though.

I don't even know if it is possible with a 550, but I know with other engines (900/1000, 650) an oil cooler can be added off of the pump outlet by being tapped into at other locations in the block.. is this more desireable? Or just the easiet/only way to do it on those bikes, and really makes no difference as far as function goes?

Thanks! Any insight would be great.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

best way to do an oil cooler- gpz oil pan? 03 Apr 2006 19:00 #36535

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
I'm adding the OEM cooler and oil pan from an '82 GPz750 to my '78 KZ650. They both used the same oil pan gasket and o-rings, and it will look and (hopefully) function better than the Lockhart cooler I have on there now.

You should be able to use the cooler and oil pan from either the '82/'83 KZ550 GPZ models or the '84/'85 ZX550 GPz models. You could check on the Kawi website to make certain that they use the same gasket and o-rings as your bike does to pretty much gaurantee it fitting.

Post edited by: RetroRiceRocketRider, at: 2006/04/03 22:01
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

best way to do an oil cooler- gpz oil pan? 04 Apr 2006 20:54 #36783

• Trav
  • Trav's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Alright, thanks. I was pretty positive of this stuff, but it had been awhile and I wanted to make sure.

I saw your other post in response to the other guy adding an oil cooler, and saw the part about the relief valve. I will have to check, but I assume the 550 would have one as well. This is something I have to add with the oil pan swap, and fits right in with no modification to the exisiting parts?

• Page: