Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

clutch adjustment 23 Mar 2006 09:07 #33690

• phishphan
  • phishphan's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm having problems with my clutch. I can't adjust it fully, the handle does not engage the clutch. I've tried to follow the haynes manual to adjust it, bu even at full adjustment (no slack) there is still slack and the handle will not recoil all of the way to where it is firm. Any suggestions...new clutch cable...new clutch release mechinism?

Also, the throttle won't recoil....maybe these cables just need oilingg

-Please get back to me
Kevin Branin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

clutch adjustment 23 Mar 2006 10:39 #33724

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
Kevin,

Please tell us what bike you have. You can do that by updating your profile to include a signature. Add your location too, and while your at it, the phone number for the girl in your avatar. We'll help you one way or another

Kent

:)
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

clutch adjustment 23 Mar 2006 10:52 #33731

• phishphan
  • User
It's a 1982 LTD 550 C2.

clutch adjustment 23 Mar 2006 12:08 #33759

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
I would remove the left side cover and check the release mechanism, maybe the cable came out.

Your throttle stays open and won't close by itself? Check the big return spring between carbs #2 & #3.

What happened to your avatar?:blush:
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

clutch adjustment 23 Mar 2006 12:50 #33767

• phishphan
  • User
i changed it.... i was getting jealous of myself for being too hot lol.... but i'm gonna try that with the clutch and see how things go....also.... I checked the spring on the carbs, it seems a bit rusted....any ideas on where i could get a new one?

clutch adjustment 23 Mar 2006 14:37 #33788

• N0NB
  • User
  • Blue handles better
  • Thank you received: 19
I'm guessing that this is a bike you aquired recently. If so, make sure all of the cables move freely without sticking or binding. I was able to keep squirting WD-40 into the top end of each and working the cable. Keep doing so until the WD-40 running out the bottom is clear. It may take some time so get comfortable and keep working at it.

Once you get them clean, inspect the portions of the exposed cables at each end for any signs of fraying or wear. If you notice such a condition, replace it. Then work some oil through the cable and Kawasaki recommends giving the exposed cable ends a light coating of grease.

The throttle return spring won't lose its tension with a light coating of surface rust. If the coils aren't tightly next to each other when the spring is relaxed, then it is likely stretched and should be replaced. If it's too rusty, the spring is more likely to break than stretch.

I've found that when adjusting the return throttle cable slack that it can't be too tight. If it's too tight then the throttle return spring can't return the throttles closed. Also, be sure the throttle handle moves freely on the handlebar and in the righthand control pod. I use a dab of white grease on mating surfaces to keep things free.

Good luck, and welcome aboard!

- Nate >>

Post edited by: n0nb, at: 2006/03/23 17:41
Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

• Page: