• Page:

TOPIC:

my clutch? problem 23 Mar 2006 03:46 #33618

• fische
  • fische's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
78 kz650

when i'm starting out in 1st gear i have to keep the rpms real low(under 3000) other wise i get an odd grinding sound, though once the clutch is fully engaged there is no slipping throughout the entire power band in every gear(non that i could detect at least).

also, the sound is more like plates vibrating than it is gears grinding, but thats my very limited experienced opinion.

i don't have the bike around at the moment to work on, i was mostly looking to see if anyone else has had this problem and if they could verify that it is the springs or friction plates, or somthing worse.

also, my clutch lever is extremely light.

thanks for the help

Post edited by: fische, at: 2006/03/23 07:00

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

my clutch? problem 23 Mar 2006 04:09 #33619

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
That's called clutch chatter :)

That, plus your saying that the clutch lever pull is light, leads me to guess that you have broken/weak clutch springs.
Since you have to pull the clutch cover off to check the spings you might as well check the steels and friction plates while you are there :)
KD9JUR

my clutch? problem 23 Mar 2006 05:19 #33629

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The clutch springs are what return the clutch after you disengage it with the lever. The springs also hold the plates. If your springs are weak, I would think your clutch might slip a tad. New springs are cheap and easy. Buy a cover gasket as it is chancy to reuse this particular gasket. It seldom rips but might seep oil if you reuse. Also, my personal preference is to use standard springs. I think most men like HEAVY DUTY but heavy duty clutch springs make lever effort MUCH higher and I don't like that for sure.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

my clutch? problem 23 Mar 2006 13:40 #33775

• fische
  • fische's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
thanks for such a quick response

i've never herd of clutch chatter, that sounds exactly like my problem.

is clutch chatter as damaging as slipping clutches?
could my steel plates be ok?

i'm asking such a theoretical question because i'm watching ebay for a good price on steel clutch plates and as i can't inspect my plates for the time being the chance that mt plates could be ok will determine the price i'd pay for them(till i could verify for myself). I think i'm gonna replace the friction plates either way.

• Page: