Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

How to remove forward cam chain guide from jugs on a 550? 19 Mar 2006 20:17 #32688

• Trav
  • Trav's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Well, I brought this up in my 550-615 rebore thread.. It seems at least two other members have run into this same dilema. See the the thread here kzrider.com/component/option,com_joomlab...ew/id,30827/catid,2/

The forward cam chain guide has little square pegs at the top and bottom, that prevent it from coming out the top or the bottom of the central cam chain area of the jugs. I can get the thing out of the stationary position that it is installed in, and wiggle it all around, but I can't seem to figure out a way to get it out.. it seems like one of those puzzles, like getting the ring off the set of horseshoes connected by a length of chain.. if you've ever seen one of those heh.

Post edited by: Trav, at: 2006/03/19 23:27

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How to remove forward cam chain guide from jugs on a 550? 19 Mar 2006 22:03 #32719

• tellietubbie
  • Visitor
I still have NO idea how to refit the new one.Someone must know, c'mon guys. PLS HELPPPPPPPPPP!

How to remove forward cam chain guide from jugs on a 550? 23 Mar 2006 20:08 #33886

• Trav
  • User
yay for all the help.. nobody takes apart 550's?

How to remove forward cam chain guide from jugs on a 550? 24 Mar 2006 11:57 #34004

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
I don't think I've ever taken one out. Wierd.

The factory service manual is no more descripitve than the Clymer. With the engine block removed, it just says "Pushing the front camshaft chain guide up, remove the guide from the cylinder block".

Definitely seems like a puzzle.

Post a question on the gpz550 site. Scott or Brendan must have done this.

www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp

How to remove forward cam chain guide from jugs on a 550? 28 Mar 2006 12:24 #34976

• APE Jay
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 58
Just did it. If you lift up on the guide, you can get the top locating lugs to come out of their groove. The whole thing will then slide back until the top lugs are in the big cutout area. The guide is then very loose. Take a pair of cresent wernches and get on the top and bottom and carfully turn it 90 degrees. It will then fall out.

Jay

Post edited by: APE Jay, at: 2006/03/28 15:24

How to remove forward cam chain guide from jugs on a 550? 29 Mar 2006 09:37 #35188

• tellietubbie
  • Visitor
Well Done Jay! Thou art a Genius.:woohoo:

How to remove forward cam chain guide from jugs on a 550? 31 Mar 2006 17:20 #35813

• Trav
  • User
I forgot to check back on this thread, but the pistons are on order so I remebered..

Awsome, will have to try this. I had gotten to the step of pushing up, moving the locating lugs back to the bigger open area, and twisting slightly with my fingers until resistance. It seemed like it was too big to turn, but it just must be slightly so if it goes easy with mechanical aid.

Thanks!

The next thread will be "anyone jetted a 550 to 615 overbore?" hehe

• Page: