Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Not running 18 Oct 2005 22:57 #2708

• tx440
  • tx440's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
My bike has been acting up lately and I'm not sure why. The other day while I was going down the interstate it started acting like it was running out of gas so I pulled over to check things out and as soon as I got stopped it died and wouldn't start for about 5 mins then it ran great. About 2miles later same thing 'cept it didn't start that time. So i hauled it to the shop and got to messing with it. at first I suspected maybe a stuck intake valve because I could hear air flowing back through the airbox when I cranked it. Checked that and all seemed fine. It seems to be getting fuel so I next suspected spark. That checked out fine. So then I put it all back together and got it to start, but it ran like crap with the left hand cylinder cutting in and out. So then I checked the plugs the right plug was black on the insulator and honey on the electrodes, pretty normal, I think. The left plug had massive carbon build-up. I cleaned both plugs on a wire wheel and put them back in. After cleaning the plugs i put them back in and the bike started easier but didn't run much better. I am just about to my wits end and I don't know what to do. I need help from anyone who can help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Not running 19 Oct 2005 05:34 #2733

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
First thing to do is to change out your fuel filter if you are using one. If you don't use one, it is time to start.

Sounds like you might have a couple things going on rather than just one issue. Next step will be to do a compression check. Do it dry then wet (oil in cylinder) and keep throttle open while you check.

After a compression check, it will be easier to figure out where your problem lies. Have you done the coil repowering mod? Have you checked power to your coil?
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Not running 19 Oct 2005 05:39 #2734

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
I would buy a new set of plugs, the electrode will be damaged on a wire wheel and cause miss fires. the old days of cleaning plugs are gone. I am with WG sounds like fuel
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

Not running 19 Oct 2005 06:04 #2745

• tx440
  • tx440's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
I am going to try some new plugs today. could the problem lie in the carbs? Maybe they are gunked up since I currently do not use a fuel filter. If so how do I clean the carbs?

Not running 19 Oct 2005 06:23 #2752

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The problem can be from a bunch of different things. The bike stopped running. Plugs were mucked up. If the fouled spark plugs are changed, the problem will go away and the bike will start/run BUT will foul again.

1. Put a fuel filter inline. Your tank DOES have old gunk in it. They all do...
2. What spark plugs are your running? Brand and type? What NGK plug is supposed to be in there? You MUST eliminate problems by using an NGK or ND plug as other types, such as AC Delco, Autolite and others have cross referenced types that fit but MAY NOT be exactly the same heat range.
3. Have you been using regular or hi-test? Hi-test WILL foul plugs
4. Have you checked power to your coils with a multimeter? ~12.5 VDC is normal when you turn the key on. If you have less, do the coil repowering mod ASAP! Low power to the coils=fouled plugs
5. AIR FILTER? What type air filter do you have? If you have a DIRTY AIR FILTER, you will choke off the air and gas foul plugs.
6. Valves hanging open a tad (check valve clearances), timing problems (check timing) and certainly old plug wires/caps can also cause these problems.
7. LEAST LIKELY is that the carburetors start giving you problems because your plugs are sooting up... this means that AIR PASSAGEWAYS are clogging and not fuel. On your little CV carbs this can happen. If it does, the carbs should be disassembled, soaked in carb cleaner and the passageways blown out with compressed air. After reassmebling with carb kits, the carbs will be as good as new. BUT... since you are fouling plugs, it seems more likely to be electrical at this point but get a darn fuel filter in there!
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Not running 19 Oct 2005 09:22 #2771

• Spock
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
You could also consider that your ignition switch may be intermitent. To check this you can run a short wire from the main fuse to the fuse that supports the ignition system. My bike was cutting out occasionally and I could not track it down considering fuel, carbs, or plugs. The ignition switch finally failed long enough to clue me in. Now a wire running from the fuse that supports the flasher relay circuit to the fuse that supports the ignition system has me up while I try to find a replacement ignition switch

Not running 19 Oct 2005 11:13 #2782

• Tazzmann
  • User
I had the same problem on my '81 440. I was going over to a friends house and it started having problems. Pulled over and it died. Upon inspection I found that the rubber vacuum cap on the left carb had cracked. Put a new one on and all went back to normal.

• Page: