• Page:

TOPIC:

timimg 19 Feb 2006 05:49 #24835

• lookshaw
  • lookshaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi everyone,
this is my first question to this forum.....however I have been referring to the forum for over a year now. It would seem that I find myself in a bit of a pickle:S
I recently replaced my starter clutch, which involves removing the clutch, oil pump, and secondary shaft. Once I completed that I replaced my points with an electronic ignition (dyna). My troubles started when I tried setting the timing up. The good news is that my electric start actually works now however I cannot get the bike to start. It just turns over with not much else happening. I resorted to kick starting and found I had no compression as I was kicking it. On the advice of a friend I removed the cylinder head cover to see if my tdc marks on my cams match to the stationary mark on my advance timing mech.......they don't. It would seem that it is off by about a 1/4inch (on the advance timing mech). I'm having a hard time beliveing that I put it out of spec by replacing my starter clutch! Sooooo my question is this: How do I fix this? :( any help would be greatly appreciated.
The bike of which I speak is a 1978 kz650SR. We have had a long hard journey together so far!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

timimg 19 Feb 2006 09:48 #24869

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
There is a possibility that you have two separate problems.
When you try to start it with the electric starter, does it soumd like it used to, before your starter clutch quit working, or does it turn over extremely fast?

when you try to start it with the kickstarter, does the end of the crank where the Dyna is mounted actually turn?
KD9JUR

timimg 19 Feb 2006 10:17 #24873

• lookshaw
  • User
When I use the electric start it doesn't sound like it used to (grinding, moaning....) it sounds good now and it turns over fast. Seems like the starter clutch replacement was a success, but in the interim something else went on me or I didn't line something up????? I just don't know what.
When I use the kickstart the end of the crank doesn't always turn (actually it barely ever turns) and when it does it's very very minimal.

timimg 19 Feb 2006 15:02 #24956

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Ok, the problem with the kickstarter is probably the clutch, it's slipping, probably because of misadjustment, either the cable or the actual clutch adjuster.
Some people have posted that they have had problems getting the Dyna ignition to line up, and have had to elongate the holes. Try a search for "Dyna" and you may find some info.
KD9JUR

timimg 19 Feb 2006 16:28 #24979

• lookshaw
  • User
Well that would make sense since one of the other things I did was replaced the clutch cable..... I will definately re-visit that.
I took everything apart again to see if I put the secondary shaft in incorrectly..... but found no problems, however in so doing i busted my clutch hub trying to get that nut off (got to love that). I guess that's what happens when you are in-experienced at all this!!!!!
I also set the cam timing and I am very comfortable with the results.
Thanks for your help. I will post the results once I find the part I need.:blink:

• Page: