Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

oil pressure gauge & cooler 13 Feb 2006 05:42 #23495

• CTSZ1
  • CTSZ1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Where do you procure an oil pressure gauge that reads in the right range for a z1 engine?

Would like to hear pros and cons to mounting an oil cooler on a z1 and what some of the experiences using one have been? Is it worth the trouble on a stock Z?

Thanks as always.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

oil pressure gauge & cooler 13 Feb 2006 06:33 #23503

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
Do a search, here and in the Archives. I just did a quick one here on KZR and came up with some posts, but none directly involving a Z1. Still some good info though. The Archives will have more info.
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

oil pressure gauge & cooler 13 Feb 2006 07:03 #23507

• z19OO
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
You have 81k miles on your z1? If its lasted that long, why worry about a cooler now? If you plan on keeping it stock, I wouldn't install either.
1975 z1 900
1979 kz650b

oil pressure gauge & cooler 13 Feb 2006 09:12 #23526

• CTSZ1
  • User
Well, the mileage is the mileage of the frame. I have recently installed a low mileage '76 engine. Just looking to see if it is worthwhile to install a cooler or if coolers are more for 'severe use' bikes, something mine is not.

I not real concerned with it being original. I recently had it re-painted in non-original 2005 GTO Yellow. It had a lot of wear in the original paint and heck I just like yellow on a bike. That being said I don't plan any real big modifications either.

Thanks for the replies thus far. I'll take a look at the archives.

oil pressure gauge & cooler 13 Feb 2006 11:42 #23542

• Garn
  • User
  • Thank you received: 13
CTSZ1, the Z1 series run at low pressure (about 2-3 psi, meaning the range would be 0-6 psi).

You will have trouble finding one of this low range, although, I have seen them. They do look a little vulnerable where they are usually mounted, that is, RHS rear the points cover, at the oil-way plug.

RegardZ.
1 x 73 Z1 (Jaffa), 74 Z1A, 76 Z900-A4
1 x 73 Yamaha TX500 & 98 fzx250 Zeal
Sydney Australia

oil pressure gauge & cooler 13 Feb 2006 13:39 #23556

• 1973Z
  • User
S & W made a really nice oil pressure gauge years ago. They screw in on the right side of the engine block, where you will find a little cap that screws right out. I broke mine off in a stupid wreck and rode home spewing a jet of oil a foot or two out at a right angle to the bike in front of my right knee, but the old girl got me home. I had broken my collar bone and didn't know it until the following morning. I didn't replace it at the time (circa 1979), sure wish I had. I now have one made by MC Enterprises, you need to put Teflon tape on the threads but it goes on pretty well. I think it reads low because once the oil warms up, it doesn't register anything below 4 or 5 grand on the tach. The factory shop manual calls for 3 pounds at 3,000 rpms at oil temperature 60 degrees Centigrade. Fortunately Americanclassix.com has a nice oil temp thermometer that goes on in place of the filler cap. I still trust the oil pressure light over the new pressure gauge, but it sure looks good and compliments the temperature gauge. Oil temp gauge is about $60 and the thermometer around $50. I believe the oil pressure reads up to about max 12 or 15 pounds. You can order it out of the Dennis Kirk catalog or any dealer can order it for you.

oil pressure gauge & cooler 13 Feb 2006 15:24 #23584

• Jeff.Saunders
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 181
You don't mention where you are located - that may change my answer...

Normally, I would not recommend running an oil cooler unless there is a need to run one - there are far more negatives than positives in most situations.

The oil cooler is really only needed when the bike is run in climates where the temperatures often run into the 100F or more range, or when the engine has been modified causing it to run excessively hot.

In all other conditions, the cooler is a liability - by it's very nature it cools the oil - this means unless you run a minimum of 20-30 miles each time you go out, the cooler may stop the engine from getting hot enough to burn off condensation inside the crankcases and exhaust pipes - once condensation builds up, so does rust... having a cooler that shuts off some of the rails inside the cooler when the oil is cold helps, but even these coolers still can over cool the oil.

In very cold tempeartures you must cover the cooler to stop it from cooling excessively.

The oil coolers cause oil pumps to work harder - basically diluting oil pressure to the engine.

Depending which way the feeds into and out of the cooler face, depends if all the oil drains out of the cooler when the engine stops... the factory optional coolers have the oil feeds coming into the top of the cooler for a reason.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

oil pressure gauge & cooler 14 Feb 2006 05:05 #23757

• CTSZ1
  • User
Thanks for the answers guys. I think I'll forego the cooler. Sounds like the oil pressure gauge is not a real necessity either. But I never have liked relying on idiot lights. I'm still debating that one.

Jeff, I currently live in northeastern Indiana. However I call Alabama home. I'm up here for about 3 years attending seminary. I have enjoyed it here, but the winters are not to my liking.

Thanks

oil pressure gauge & cooler 14 Feb 2006 06:02 #23769

• 1973Z
  • User
As usual I concur with Jeff. I have no oil cooler and my temp gauge never shows the needle anywhere near the red zone on the dial. Just wish it was Farenheit not Centigrade but on the gauge face the hot zone appears at about the 4:00 o'clock position and the needle rarely is more than straight up, at 12 noon, even in hot St. Louis summer weather, well over 90 degrees F, even in stop and go city riding.

• Page: