Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Help Ticking noise 06 Jul 2007 20:47 #155216

• ricerocket
  • ricerocket's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi,i have a 1978 kz1000 just got it.It runs great starts great.But it seems to have a ticking sound at idle i cannot locate.When i twist the throttle slowly it does not get louder and does not get faster and then i do not hear it anymore.
Any ideas on what it might be?A freind of mine said it could be the starter not completely disengaging.Any help would be great?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Help Ticking noise 06 Jul 2007 20:52 #155219

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
Welcome to KZr RR.

More than likely it's the valves that you are hearing "tick", which is common.
When you can hear them loudly while you've got the throttle twisted, that's the time to worry! :ohmy:

Do you know the history on the bike - last valve adjustment, carb synch, oil and filter change, etc?
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

Help Ticking noise 06 Jul 2007 20:59 #155224

• ricerocket
  • User
I just picked it up but by the look of the oil not in awhile.So i should run it over to the shop and have it serviced.valves check etc. Was worried but could not figure out why it would go away when the throttle was twisted.Thanks.
Ralph

Help Ticking noise 06 Jul 2007 22:34 #155258

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
You found a shop that will work on it?!? :ohmy:

Most Kawi dealerships flat out refuse to work on anything older than 10 years. Heck, the employees at all the dealerships I've been to near me weren't even a gleem in their daddy's eye when our bikes were first new!

A good portion of us either take our bikes to smaller "mom and pop" repair shops who (usually) gladly welcome the business, or bite the bullet and do it ourselves.

Doing your own repairs has quite a few benefits:
You get to know the workings of your bike first-hand, and in a matter of time will be able to discern where a particular "tick" or "clunk" is originating from, and whether it's something to worry about or not.
You save money! :woohoo:
You'll know that the repairs were done right because you did them and won't (likely) skip something to get it done quicker. Which is worlds better than wondering if "Goober" over at the local Wrench 'N Ride remembered to tighten all the bolts when he was done working on your bike. :pinch:
And the sense of accomplishment in doing it yourself is something that just can't be beat IMHO.

There's a wealth of info and knowledgable members here to help you out if you decide to work on your bike and have questions.

I almost forgot!
Listing your bikes info in your profile helps us help you, as we'll know what bike you have questions on when posted. Listing your location is also a good thing - you never know which members are close to you and willing to lend a helping hand or go riding with.

And last, but certainly not least, post some pics of your bike when you get a chance - we just love bike pics! :)
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

Help Ticking noise 08 Jul 2007 23:43 #155579

• martijn
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
had the same!! see topic clutch rattle!! is probably loose springs in your clutch assembly.

Help Ticking noise 09 Jul 2007 06:56 #155617

• Frank
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2

martijn had the same!! see topic clutch rattle!! is probably loose springs in your clutch assembly.

I doubt this, definately valves.

Help Ticking noise 09 Jul 2007 21:02 #155824

• ricerocket
  • User
I checked oil was a litle low and relly black black.Added some fresh oil to get me to the shop for a change and the noise is gone.The bike came with pipes you have to remove to change oil.Fun!
Ralph

Help Ticking noise 10 Jul 2007 08:25 #155916

• Frank
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
If you had to remove and reinstall the head pipes it could have been one of them not sealing aswell giving a small exhaust leak.

Help Ticking noise 13 Sep 2023 08:53 #889341

• kamkaotm
  • User
If this model has a vacuum activated petcock, check that the petcock diaphragm does not have a tear or pinhole.  What can happen is the metal plunger in the middle of the diaphragm is pulled out by vacuum to allow fuel to pass.  At idle or low rpms the plunger is pulled out a bit, but the leak allows it to fall back and hit its seat making a little bang the resonates through the gas tank. This will happen 2 or 3 times per second and sounds like someone is tapping on the tank with a small hammer!.  It's louder when the tank isn't full.  At higher rpms, the vacuum is stronger and overcomes the leak so the plunger doesn't fall back. This was an issue on my KZ750 H3 LTD and I tell you it took a while to sort it out.  Replaced the diaphragm and all was well

Help Ticking noise 13 Sep 2023 10:00 #889343

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1829
Hi Kamkaotm and welcome from the UK, this thread is sixteen years old so it's unlikely you will get a response but thanks for the input 

• Page: