Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

clutch going out? 21 Dec 2005 07:17 #13926

• cary
  • cary's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
Sorry if this question is a bit elementary but..... I recently started my bike (83 kz1100) after sitting up a few days in the cold, rode a few blocks, no prob. After I got to a light, I noticed the bike trying to creep with the clutch pulled in, so I attempted to get into neutral, this didn't work. The light turns, and I can't get out of first, eventually I am able to strong-foot it into 2nd to get home. I noticed the oil level looked low, so I dump the old oil and change that and the filter, and then get back on(this is actually the next day). The bike still pulls forward with the clutch engaged, and does NOT want to shift w/o really banging on it(i didn't ride far this way). So, gentlemen, any ideas? Is this clutch adjustment, a bad clutch, or something more serious? (The bike ran and shifted ok before this incident)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

clutch going out? 21 Dec 2005 08:57 #13934

• rtg
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Cary: you've got three clutch adjustments....
1. on the left handlebar where cable adjusts on clutch handle
2.halfway down the left side of the frame is (or at least should be) another cable slack adjuster
3. behind cover (the one to the rear of the alternator cover is also an adjustment with a scew and lock nut ..your manual should cover this .

clutch going out? 21 Dec 2005 10:14 #13943

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 239
Look at the clutch cable where it attaches to the clutch lever. It is most likely fraying, making the cable stretch when you attempt to pull in the lever. Probably time for a new cable, although a simple adjustment is a possibility. Only adjust at the lever or the adjustment halfway down the cable. Don't ever fool with the adjustment at the engine as it is fine and better off left alone unless someone else has fooled with it.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

\"w/o really banging on it\" 21 Dec 2005 18:26 #14002

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
  • Thank you received: 1289
Don't do it dude!!!!
Today you need a clutch adjustment. Soon you'll need a total tear down to replace shift forks.
KZCSI
www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

\"w/o really banging on it\" 22 Dec 2005 11:56 #14086

• dutchz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Check how much slack you have at the lever, and see if that big round locknut with the slit in it is tight against the lever so the cable stays tight. Should be about 1/8 of an inch slack between the edge of the lever and the edge of the housing I think. Take up some slack at the lever (or, if you need a big adjustment, use the adjuster halfway down the cable).
1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.

cable snapped 23 Dec 2005 07:42 #14249

• cary
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I tightened up the cable, it loosened up again, then snapped. Guess I needed a cable after all.... thanks guys for the suggestions.

cable snapped 23 Dec 2005 08:29 #14260

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Don't know how low your oil got, but that can contribute to a clutch that will not disengage. Ran a little low on my dragbike once. Had to use brakes at start line to hold it. Later found I had broken clutch plates. All in all though I am thinking a new clutch cable should do it, but if not?!?!?

cable snapped 23 Dec 2005 10:42 #14280

• cary
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm pretty sure it was the cable, because after i adjusted it, it just just snapped after a bit of use.

cable snapped 23 Dec 2005 14:01 #14299

• mykznme
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
just be glad you werent moving when it snapped.
ive heard horror stories of guys gettin thrown off the back from stuff like that.

R.I.P. Odd Ivar

• Page: