Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Engine removal 15 Dec 2005 15:57 #13370

• NightRider
  • NightRider's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I was wondering how much of a struggle it is to remove a 650 four...

Can it be done by myself or would it be a disaster?

Has anyone pulled one by themselves?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Engine removal 15 Dec 2005 16:50 #13374

• DanOz7Five0
  • User
I have done it 4 times. Its not too bad and there are many suggested methods, some like to unbolt all the mounts and lay the bike down on its side (search archives for more info). I have been lucky with my way though. I remove the tank, carbs, coils, airbox, etc. Then I remove the head (saves weight and give more room to move. Then I put my cheapo hydraulic jack under the oil pan just until it touches. Then remove the left cover where the clutch cable goes through. After that comes the engine mounts. Then I slightly lift the engine up with the jack. Reach over the bike from the right side and slide the engine to the right. Once its sitting on the right lower frame rail I quickly regrip and continue to work it out to the side.

Im 6'2" and weigh in about 160 so Im not a huge muscleman but I have been having good luck with my way alone. I must make a disclaimer now though, I am broke so any work missed due to back injuries cannot be held against me :woohoo:

Engine removal 16 Dec 2005 06:58 #13452

• wireguy
  • User
if you are going to leave the engine together while you remove it do yourself a favor ,go to sears and buy a good stud extractor to remove the exhuast studs it will save you a lot of headaches when you try to wrestle the motor out.hope this helps,happy wrenching!

Engine removal 16 Dec 2005 07:02 #13456

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I am curious as to why he would want to remove the exhaust studs???

In any case, if you are removing the engine to work on it, take off the top end while the engine is still in the bike. It makes removing the top end easier. Then, use a transmission jack to support the engine as you remove the motor mounts. I just lift them out of the frame myself as they weigh less than 200 lbs at that point... probably closed to 150 lbs. I find it easiest to use a furniture moving dolly... one of those square wood frames with carpet on the frame and wheels. I just sort of shift the engine from the jack to the dolly and roll it away. Not all that much grunt involved.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Engine removal 16 Dec 2005 07:59 #13475

• NightRider
  • NightRider's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Thanks for all the ideas...

I am afraid to remove the head as not to screw up the cam chains, I do have a capable assistant to help me wrench it out.

Thanks

Engine removal 16 Dec 2005 10:57 #13492

• wireguy
  • User
removing the exhuast studs gives you a little more working room to slide the motor out and you dont have to worry about tearing up the frame with the studs or dinging up their threads,ive done it with the studs on but it seems to work easier for me this way! oh yeah you might also want to wrap something around your frame tubes to protect them from scratches.happy wrenching!

Post edited by: wireguy, at: 2005/12/16 14:00

• Page: