Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Ignition help 07 Dec 2005 13:56 #12209

• davidp23
  • davidp23's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Long story short- I dropped my bike the other day stopping on wet leaves and broke the ignition cover, and some of the engine metal that it connects to, so there is a nice chunk out of the rim that the engine cover would screw down on. Is it important to have a tight seal here? Can i just replace the cover and let the hole be? If so, anybody got one?
I will try to get some pictures in the meantime. thanks for your help.

Post edited by: davidp23, at: 2005/12/07 17:02

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ignition help 07 Dec 2005 15:55 #12220

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
I would not leave a hole, you will get moisture in there and that is not a good thing to have, how big of a hole is there? , if its not too big you can put some duct tape around the outside and fill it with some J B WELD, let it dry you can then file the sealing surface flat and it will last for a long time, plus keep it dry
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

Ignition help 07 Dec 2005 17:50 #12232

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
  • Thank you received: 1
Check eBay for a another inner case and a new cover. I had the same problem with mine when I got it. I found the inner case from a member here named 'sonny' if I remember correctly. Nice guy.

I bought a new points cover from Jeff at Z1E.
Get right or get left! <*{{{><

Ignition help 07 Dec 2005 18:53 #12247

• wireguy
  • User
how big is the hole?there is a small hole allready where the body anc cover come together where the electronic ignition wires go if you have electronic ignition.if you hve points,do not plug this hole!it helps keep moisture and condensation out/away from your points,yes i learned this the hard way!good luck,happy wrenching!

Ignition help 08 Dec 2005 13:43 #12341

• davidp23
  • davidp23's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
I did notice the hole where the wires come out of the bottom, which is why i was wondering if i could just ride as it is. Ill have to check it, but I think the hole is at about 10:00 and about 1/2 inch sqare. Ill look into the JBweld stuff and if it turns out i need a new casing, i am sure someone one this site has a junk parts bike laying around.
I am not going to be doing much work out there anyway till the weather warms up and the snow melts, at the very least.

Post edited by: davidp23, at: 2005/12/08 17:44

Ignition help 08 Dec 2005 18:26 #12375

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
You could certainly still ride it the way it is if it's just a broken case. However, I would be careful if you are still running a points system. If any gas or gas fumes were to get down that way you could easily spark a fire.
Get right or get left! <*{{{><

Ignition help 08 Dec 2005 20:51 #12392

• GargantuChet
  • User
I believe that on the bottom of the points cover, there's a very small drainage hole. I wouldn't run with a huge hole, but given that there's a small notch in the cover anyways I'd not worry too much about a small leakage.

Ignition help 09 Dec 2005 06:32 #12420

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The hole is there on the bottom of the inner points cover to allow condensation to have a drip path out. If you have a larger hole, keep in mind that the mechanical ignition advance is steel and VERY prone to rusting... If it rusts, it will not work as it should. An easy temporary fix is to buy some metal foil type tape... this stuff is heavy and sticks pretty well... anyway, cut a small strip and cover the hole in the inner points cover till it can be replaced or repaired with JB Weld.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: