• Page:

TOPIC:

1980 KZ750 twin rebuild 04 Dec 2005 09:12 #11692

• ibanez4string
  • ibanez4string's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey guys,

I recently acquired a 1980 kz750 bike/project. It was cheap and i was interested so it now lives in my house. I found your site while researching the bike and it seems one of the best sources of information. With bike now in hand i have some issues i need addressed.

First thing is i am searching for either a factory manual or one of equal content. I have tried ebay, but most tell me it covers 76-79 twins. Mine sure looks a lot like these bikes, but maybe they're right.

Second i am rebuilding the engine beacuse it doesn't seem to move. I think the piston is seized from leaving the spark plug out. I can't seem to find to much information/parts for twins. This is one of the reasons the manual would help. Needless to say i have the engine out and i am wondering the disassembly/rebuild steps, so i can take it to a machine shop or figure out what needs to be replaced.

Any help would be appreciated and just saying hi to everyone.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1980 KZ750 twin rebuild 04 Dec 2005 11:26 #11722

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
For a manual, read this:
www.kzrider.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=23472

Very few differences between the 76-79 B models and the 80 G model, G has a rear drum brake with 16" rear wheel, mag wheels, no centerstand, different sidecovers, frame is different, tank is smaller, and that's about all I can think of at the moment. The motor/trans is the same.
Parts show up on eBay fairly often, and are usually a lot cheaper than parts for the fours, oversized pistons are usually listed on eBay as well.
Btw, you can use 650/1000 dual disk rotors and calipers to upgrade to dual front disk brakes :)

My current ride is an 80 KZ750G :D
KD9JUR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: