Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ440 wont go 30 Nov 2005 13:37 #11111

• DeftoneKZ440
  • DeftoneKZ440's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
1980 KZ440 A model.Ive been having a frustrating time trying to figure out this problem so now i'm turning to you guys to please help me, hopefully one of you on here had a similar problem and solved it.

Heres what happened, my clutch cable sometimes would need to be adjusted so when I shift I dont get the dragging and eventually the cable just started to get more and more loose. So I ordered a new cable, motion pro, and installed it. I installed it correctly, routed it good, there were no kinks or sharp bends, and it the adjuster on the cable was tighted so the clutch lever started to feel stiff like there was a clutch. when I started the bike up its in neutral, I shift down into first gear to go foward but the bike wouldnt go. The egine would just rev when I accelerate but not move forward. Even if i relase the clutch lever in first gear the bike would not stall out it'll just stay on but the neutral light is turned off. I know the bike is in first gear because it you can hear the noise when if shift. I put back in the old cable and the same exact thing happened, it wont go foward. Please help me I dont know what else to do.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ440 wont go 30 Nov 2005 14:25 #11115

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
If your bike is like mine, then the clutch play can be adjusted by removing the eliptical plate on the left side of the engine. See the photo.
Under that cover is a threaded rod with a slot in the end for a flat-tip screwdriver. It is held with a jam nut so it doesnt turn, once adjusted.
Sorry if you already know all this.
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

KZ440 wont go 30 Nov 2005 14:36 #11117

• DeftoneKZ440
  • User
hey thanks for your advice, but I already did adjusted that screw you were talking about and it didnt really help. I dont know what else to do

KZ440 wont go 30 Nov 2005 14:44 #11120

• jasbarsydvic
  • User
Do you have any free play in the clucth lever?

KZ440 wont go 30 Nov 2005 17:37 #11145

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
jasbarsydvic wrote:

Do you have any free play in the clucth lever?

Yeah, you have to have a little, like a 1/4 " play. It sounds to me like you have it so the clutch is permanently engages because the cable's too tight.

Just for giggles, try leaving the cable totally loose to see if the clutch "catches"...
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

KZ440 wont go 30 Nov 2005 19:00 #11160

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 436
If you go here to Ibsens site www.kz400.com/TechnicaltipsFrameset.html and scroll about 2/3rd of the way down theres a secton on clutch adjustment. The last time I messed with the cable on my 750 I think I had to repeat the adjustment about 6 times before getting it right - very frustrating. Also wonder if it might be worth your while checking out the mechanism on the other side of the adjuster screw location shown in ltdrider's photo and seeing if your mechanism is acting correctly on the clutch pushrod - assuming you have one.
Woodstock ON Canada
1980 kz750 E1, 4->1, K&N pods
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

KZ440 wont go 01 Dec 2005 19:10 #11347

• DeftoneKZ440
  • User
Thanks for your advice guys, I was working on the bike today and did what some of you said, but I cant test it yet. Back a while ago I removed the clutch cover to inspect the clutch plates and the gasket around that whole cover is deteriorated and oil has been leaking through. Can anyone tell me where I can purchase that gasket online, besides going to the dealer.

KZ440 wont go 02 Dec 2005 07:27 #11419

• ibsen22000
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Single gasket:

www.cyclewareables.com/pages/street_moto...l/kawindivgasket.htm

Gasket# CW643-4025 $8

Complete gasket kit:

www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=1861

$27.01

Post edited by: ibsen22000, at: 2005/12/02 10:29

KZ440 wont go 10 Dec 2005 19:06 #12561

• TwoSeven
  • User
I'm having the same problem with my tractor :)

I suspect that its a mixture of stretched clutch cable causing exessive clutch plate wear.

I have to pull the lever almost back to the bars before the clutch disengages, and there is no more adjustment left down at the clutch.

I seem to remember that until the cable started going, the clutch was fine, now, today when I was on some hills I noticed a hint of slip.

Being a poor student at the moment, I cant afford to take the clutch cover off and measure everything up - so will just see what effect replacing the clutch cable has.

• Page: