Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

valve spring seats 25 Nov 2005 18:15 #10239

• azchili
  • azchili's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
recently i posted that i was having trouble removing valve spring seats.well i found out why.they do come out easy when there installed right.i found 2 that were installed wrong.when the valve job was done,two seats were put in back wards.thats why my cam would turn half way around and stop.question is does anybody know how to remove spring seats that are put in backwards?i thought about drilling so slightly and taking a screw and pulling out the seat.probably will destroy seat.anyother suggestanes will help alot.i don,t want to damage seats but if i have to then it needs to be done.:dry:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

valve spring seats 26 Nov 2005 00:50 #10271

• Garn
  • User
  • Thank you received: 13
Azchili, I know that problem on the Z1 series heads . I think you will find the steel seats have a small hole already.

From memory I sprayed some WD-40 on them and hit them with compressed air. Once the air was underneath they droped out after turning the head upside down.

Failing that, heat the head in your girl-friends oven to 200 degrees centigade and turn upside down. Please note that your head/block dowels will also fall out!

At last resort your method should work, making sure you don't drill into the alloy.

Regardz
1 x 73 Z1 (Jaffa), 74 Z1A, 76 Z900-A4
1 x 73 Yamaha TX500 & 98 fzx250 Zeal
Sydney Australia

valve spring seats 26 Nov 2005 08:19 #10312

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Garn, I am thinking the valve spring seats don't have holes. I have an early Z1 head apart up in my shop right now and the spring seats are layed out on my picnic table... I think they are possibly stuck because they got smushed into the bottom of the spring cavity. Before ANY drilling, I suggest using a couple strong pencil magnets... I would also try heat first as well... Drilling holes in those things probably wouldn't do any harm... the only reason they are there is to protect the alloy of the head from getting scored by the springs and they would still perform that function with holes in them.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

valve spring seats 26 Nov 2005 09:43 #10329

• azchili
  • User
looking at the seats they look like they been pushed in pretty hard.i've tried the pencil magnets to no avail.can't heat in oven wife got new oven this week.i'll try drilling with smallest drill bit possible.will be carefull about alloy.if they get slightly distorted can i still use them?i would think with the spring pressure and the cam and bucket pushing down on them it might work to reuse providing not to mangeled.

valve spring seats 26 Nov 2005 11:43 #10352

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I wouldn't heat them in MY wife's oven bwhahaha Anyone who advises that type tech info should help you pay for the lawyer hehe You might want to try a torch... the head won't be hurt. If you screw up one or two, drop me a note. I have extras...
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

valve spring seats 26 Nov 2005 12:10 #10362

• Garn
  • User
  • Thank you received: 13
Azchili, agree with WG... The spring seats don't have holes and that possibly damage could have been cause through excessive pressure on seat in the upside-down position.
Before drilling and heating, I would try compressed air, to see if they move. There should be enough clearance around the valve guide/ seat to just get a blast from an air nozzle to lift them.
Another method may be to carefully tack (electrical)weld a mild steel u-bolt and use as a puller!
Let's know how you get on!
Regardz.
1 x 73 Z1 (Jaffa), 74 Z1A, 76 Z900-A4
1 x 73 Yamaha TX500 & 98 fzx250 Zeal
Sydney Australia

valve spring seats 26 Nov 2005 14:29 #10380

• 79MKII
  • User
  • Love Them Kaws!
  • Thank you received: 43
Garn said "girlfriends" oven, not the wife's!!:P
The Kaw List:
Current: 79 KZ1000 A3 MKII, 78 KZ1000 A2, 78 KZ1000 Z1-R, 78 KZ650 SR, 80 KE175
Former: 03 KLX400SR, 99 ZRX1000, 82 KZ750 LTD, 80 KZ1000 A4 MKII, 80 KZ1000 LTD, 78 KZ1000 A2, 74 H-2 750 Triple, 78 KL250

valve spring seats 26 Nov 2005 21:49 #10429

• azchili
  • User
thanks for all your help.i took a punch and hit one side trying to lift one side high enough to get a pick underneath.when i did i then tapped lightly around seat untill it lifted and was able to remove.from now on i will try to do as much work myself as possible.now i just need to get engine back together:P

valve spring seats 26 Nov 2005 21:50 #10430

• craigpuckett
  • User
My bet is that when they were instaled upside down the spring presure mashed the seat around/into the guide,you may have to get replacements after you get thru drilling/pulling,you may have to drill 3 or 4 holes with as many screws to ever get em out.

If George dosen't have enough I have some also.

valve spring seats 26 Nov 2005 21:57 #10434

• azchili
  • User
no i was able to remove without drilling.they were in good shape.the bike hasn't been run in the stages of putting engine back together after major tear down.just tapped on side furthest from oil hole got a pick in and then tapped around gently untill i could lift and then used a magnet

• Page: