Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Got Rear-Ended Yesterday 19 Dec 2021 17:50 #859325

• Stereordinary
  • Stereordinary's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 131
So just for a distraction from what is sure to be insurance hell, I have started looking into just how feasible it might be to fix my bike. I know I have an uphill battle in more than one way here, but if you all don’t mind humoring me and perhaps soothing my soul a little, I’d appreciate it. 

I’ve got the rear cowl, and combination fender and taillight mount removed, along with a small amount of other peripherals. Looking at the bike from straight on at the rear, I noticed that the left side is ever so slightly higher than the right. I put a straight edge on it to confirm. So I looked closely and it appears there is a place where the frame flexed and buckled up a small amount. I tried to take a photo of it, below. 

I guess my question is, who or where do you send a frame to to get it repaired when you have damage like this? I know that because it’s not split and it’s behind the shock, it’s negligible for the rider, but could be a potential safety hazard for a pillion. Plus, I’d just like it to be perfect when all is said and done. Any welding is pretty much out of question for me to do myself. But unless something else more serious comes up I’m leaning toward buying the bike back as salvage, restoring it, and seeking a rebuilt title. This bike deserves it as far as I’m concerned. 

A breeze from the west.
‘90 ZR550 Zephyr (x2)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Stereordinary.

Got Rear-Ended Yesterday 19 Dec 2021 19:03 #859328

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 503
I've never talked to these folks, but I found the site a while ago while wandering the internet.  They build custom frames mostly, but they say they also do repairs. 

www.framecrafters.net/services/pmr.php/

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism, bluej58

Got Rear-Ended Yesterday 20 Dec 2021 05:09 #859333

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2671

I've never talked to these folks, but I found the site a while ago while wandering the internet.  They build custom frames mostly, but they say they also do repairs. 

www.framecrafters.net/services/pmr.php/

A pro frame shop is the way to go.  Hopefully there is some place local in your area.  The motorcycle road racing guys would know.  

Got Rear-Ended Yesterday 20 Dec 2021 05:16 #859335

• 73z1
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 103

I’ve got the rear cowl, and combination fender and taillight mount removed, along with a small amount of other peripherals. Looking at the bike from straight on at the rear, I noticed that the left side is ever so slightly higher than the right. I put a straight edge on it to confirm. So I looked closely and it appears there is a place where the frame flexed and buckled up a small amount. I tried to take a photo of it, below. 

The bracing for the shock mount is strong, it may a dented tube, nothing important.

Got Rear-Ended Yesterday 20 Dec 2021 06:18 #859340

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2050
Having a frame shop look it over is a good idea, but keep in mind that many old KZ frames were not perfect to begin with.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Got Rear-Ended Yesterday 31 Dec 2021 11:33 #859865

• Stereordinary
  • User
This insurance crap is taking forever. It’s been over a week since I’ve heard from them. I know it’s the holidays, but it’s frustrating. I want to start getting into the nitty gritty bits of restoring my bike, but it’s so hard to know what approach to take. I want to purchase some of the replacement parts I need, but without the settlement yet it’s hard to know what the wise thing to do is. Can I splurge on a better used part, or even a genuine new OEM? Or am I gonna have to get whatever I can on the cheap? Normally I’m a very patient person, but this whole thing is testing me. 
A breeze from the west.
‘90 ZR550 Zephyr (x2)

Got Rear-Ended Yesterday 31 Dec 2021 14:38 #859869

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2050
A week is a nanosecond in insurance time. You will need a trainload of patience as well as persistence. It is not always easy to know when to be patient and when to really push. A gentle nudge now and then may keep your name near the top of their list, but in the end, it is their game.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Got Rear-Ended Yesterday 31 Dec 2021 15:45 #859871

• 750 R1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 394

A week is a nanosecond in insurance time. You will need a trainload of patience as well as persistence. It is not always easy to know when to be patient and when to really push. A gentle nudge now and then may keep your name near the top of their list, but in the end, it is their game.
Exactly, a week is nothing in insurance land, when one of my bikes was stolen it took nearly 3 months to receive a payout...

Got Rear-Ended Yesterday 07 Jan 2022 15:18 #860210

• Stereordinary
  • User
Got a call from the guy's insurance, and she didn't really tell me much, but did say something about like there being enough to cover everything, including repairs on my bike. Which would be good news, because then the bike wouldn't be "totaled" and I'd still have a clean title. Plus, you know, getting it fixed of course. 
A breeze from the west.
‘90 ZR550 Zephyr (x2)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD

Got Rear-Ended Yesterday 07 Jan 2022 21:10 #860233

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1849
Cool. Hope it work out. Watch FB marketplace. I have recently seen a couple zephyrs. One was a part out. 
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

Got Rear-Ended Yesterday 08 Jan 2022 07:42 #860256

• Stereordinary
  • User
I’m not on Facebook, so I can’t check there, but there’s a guy on eBay right now that has a matching set in red (gas tank, side panels, rear cowl, and front fender) all in great condition. It’s taking all of my willpower not to dig into savings to get them. 
A breeze from the west.
‘90 ZR550 Zephyr (x2)

Got Rear-Ended Yesterday 08 Jan 2022 09:13 #860259

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2671
Has someone from the insurance come out and looked at the bike?  They may make a judgement based on photos, but that's only when they are going to total it.  No disrespect, but I'll be very surprised if they don't total your bike.  The value is going to be WAY less than paying professionals to fix it.  Having the frame straightened by a pro shop for example will likely cost more than the bike is worth.  Bottom line: don't spend any money until you get final word from the insurance.  

Here is a photo of my old GS450, after a left turner got me.  The bike was totaled by the insurance company, but I bought it back and parted it for more than the buy-back amount.  The bike could have been fixed but I didn't have the heart for it, plus it would have cost more than I was willing to pay to have the frame checked.  

DSC01796 by nessism , on Flickr

Last edit: by Nessism.