Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Had a VERY close call last week. Im SUPER thankful 01 May 2017 05:43 #760863

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
  • Thank you received: 260
Divine intervention there, my thought too. A rear wheel lock happens so fast you are half dead before you can even try to correct it.

A mate of mine had an RD350LC cease up at 110mph, a fast declutch saved the day and his lfe. Chain snap and tangle is the very worst case sceanrio, almost as bad as a front tyre blow out in terms of danger.

In UK we have a yearly MOT (ministry of transport inspection) quite a strict test and also focuses my mind to get things done otherwise I can't tax it. Cars and trucks imported from countries without these annual inspections often have a big list of wear and tear items accululated over the years that would have been tested and fixed if in the UK.
1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Had a VERY close call last week. Im SUPER thankful 01 May 2017 07:26 #760892

• JWKZ750
  • JWKZ750's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor

Tyrell Corp wrote: Divine intervention there, my thought too. A rear wheel lock happens so fast you are half dead before you can even try to correct it.

A mate of mine had an RD350LC cease up at 110mph, a fast declutch saved the day and his lfe. Chain snap and tangle is the very worst case sceanrio, almost as bad as a front tyre blow out in terms of danger.

In UK we have a yearly MOT (ministry of transport inspection) quite a strict test and also focuses my mind to get things done otherwise I can't tax it. Cars and trucks imported from countries without these annual inspections often have a big list of wear and tear items accululated over the years that would have been tested and fixed if in the UK.

Thankfully i was going slow but it was quite scary. The upside of the incident is, I now pay attention to every aspect of my bike and its parts. Its made me more diligent and more cautious.

Had a VERY close call last week. Im SUPER thankful 01 May 2017 11:31 #760912

• KZB2 650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 265
Bought lock tabs from Z1 a while back when I bought the chain and sprockets and is crazy not running them. My well used RK o ring chain (thinking 23,000 miles) felt good on the bike when adjusted but when I took it off o boy did my heart race..... had a lotta wear and this reminds me how close that could a been me. With it adjusted and on the bike I just couldn't feel the wear. New brake shoes are on my list this fall to.

Un related but way back in 66 (we were 15) my bud just bought a new 160 Honda and did a burn out in gravel with a sweety on the back and it snapped and wrapped up in the case and cracked it. I felt so bad for him......He was try in to stay brave but a few tears still came out....... cost 160 bucks for the shop to tear it down and replace it..... a buck a cc....... not real bad but was a lot of cash back then....... I think he paid 650 for it out the door a few months before. (Should say his dad mostly but he helped)........... stay safe !!!
1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Last edit: by KZB2 650.

Had a VERY close call last week. Im SUPER thankful 01 May 2017 17:52 #760931

• JWKZ750
  • JWKZ750's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor

KZB2 650 wrote: Bought lock tabs from Z1 a while back when I bought the chain and sprockets and is crazy not running them. My well used RK o ring chain (thinking 23,000 miles) felt good on the bike when adjusted but when I took it off o boy did my heart race..... had a lotta wear and this reminds me how close that could a been me. With it adjusted and on the bike I just couldn't feel the wear. New brake shoes are on my list this fall to.

Un related but way back in 66 (we were 15) my bud just bought a new 160 Honda and did a burn out in gravel with a sweety on the back and it snapped and wrapped up in the case and cracked it. I felt so bad for him......He was try in to stay brave but a few tears still came out....... cost 160 bucks for the shop to tear it down and replace it..... a buck a cc....... not real bad but was a lot of cash back then....... I think he paid 650 for it out the door a few months before. (Should say his dad mostly but he helped)........... stay safe !!!

That a great story! And yeah sometimes showing off has consequences. That must have really stung when he broke that chain

Had a VERY close call last week. Im SUPER thankful 01 May 2017 18:54 #760937

• ThatGPzGuy
  • Sustaining Member
  • More Sparky than Speed Racer
  • Thank you received: 376

JWKZ750 wrote: I only had on a pair of dress trousers, a 3/4 helmet and a TSHIRT!!! Thank GOD i wasnt going faster. I was only a quarter mile from the bridge, and had I got on it, going at speed, and the chain snapped, man, i would have been bad.

Please consider putting on the proper gear before you ride. Going down even at low speed is much worse without a quality jacket, boots, gloves and helmet at minimum. It could be a lifetime decision...
Glad you are safe.
Jim
North GA
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1982 GPz750 R1
1974 Kawasaki H1
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1979 Yamaha XS650 cafe'
2001 KZ1000P
2001 Yamaha YZ426
1981 Honda XR200 stroked in an '89 CR125 chassis
1965 Mustang
1967 Triumph GT6
1976 Bronco
"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"

Had a VERY close call last week. Im SUPER thankful 14 Nov 2017 18:59 #774600

• jayrodoh
  • User
  • Thank you received: 27

ThatGPzGuy wrote:

JWKZ750 wrote: I only had on a pair of dress trousers, a 3/4 helmet and a TSHIRT!!! Thank GOD i wasnt going faster. I was only a quarter mile from the bridge, and had I got on it, going at speed, and the chain snapped, man, i would have been bad.

Please consider putting on the proper gear before you ride. Going down even at low speed is much worse without a quality jacket, boots, gloves and helmet at minimum. It could be a lifetime decision...
Glad you are safe.

Ditto, I was riding home from work about four weeks ago on my XJ and some lady hit me head on. I'm pretty good about ATGATT but really glad I had it on that day. My job is only 3 miles from home on 35MPH roads but we were still picking pieces of her windshield out of my jacket when I got home from hospital.

Glad you are okay!!
1982 KZ750-M1 CSR

• Page: