unlearnable lessons

• Zaddict
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Enjoying my Zaddiction!
More
03 Jul 2024 12:36 #901713 by Zaddict
unlearnable lessons was created by Zaddict
There are two lessons I just can't seem to ever learn. One is not to drink to much alcohol, though it always seems like a great idea at the time. The other is not to use aftermarket parts to try to save money when OEM parts are available. I've been battling leaky carbs for a long time and tried several aftermarket float needles.  They look almost identical to stock, but the carbs kept overflowing. I finally sprung for OEM needles and problem solved. I really don't understand what makes a needle worth $40 vs $2, but lesson learned.

Or not...

1990 Zephyr zr550 B1
Wiseco 615cc kit
zx550 cams
SPII ignition system
Kerker stainless steel race exhaust with 1.5" competition baffle
K&N Air Filter...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2024 13:40 #901716 by Wookie58
Replied by Wookie58 on topic unlearnable lessons

There are two lessons I just can't seem to ever learn. One is not to drink to much alcohol, though it always seems like a great idea at the time. The other is not to use aftermarket parts to try to save money when OEM parts are available. I've been battling leaky carbs for a long time and tried several aftermarket float needles.  They look almost identical to stock, but the carbs kept overflowing. I finally sprung for OEM needles and problem solved. I really don't understand what makes a needle worth $40 vs $2, but lesson learned.

Or not...
Production tolerances and quality control - aftermarket parts are always a "lottery" some are really good, and some not 

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
03 Jul 2024 14:03 #901717 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic unlearnable lessons
For Keihin's, the only needles worth having are OEM or Keyster.  The cheap aftermarket pieces have a soft spring that can't hold up the weight of the float.  I bought a dozen Keyster's, to save on shipping cost, since I rebuild a fair number of carbs.  It's also good to use a HD q-tip and brass polish to clean up the inside of the seat really well.  
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThatGPzGuy, Scirocco

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
03 Jul 2024 15:24 #901721 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic unlearnable lessons
This shop sells needle valves sets with a viton rubber tip.

vergaser.saarbike.de/vergaser/et-oem-ver...r/kawasaki/index.php

• The following user(s) said Thank You: howardhb

More
    04 Jul 2024 11:56 #901753 by Stereordinary
    Replied by Stereordinary on topic unlearnable lessons

Production tolerances and quality control - aftermarket parts are always a "lottery" some are really good, and some not
    That’s why I started this thread some while back: www.kzrider.com/forum/13-bike-related/61...-are-actual-upgrades

A breeze from the west.
    ‘90 ZR550 Zephyr