Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

What other bikes do you enjoy working on or riding other than your kz? 17 Jul 2023 07:21 #887330

• Move0ver
  • User
  • Thank you received: 56
I've got a 66 Honda CB77 track bike.  It's got some pedigree and has a decent amount of engine work from the original owner. 
I've gone through and upgraded the primary chain, oil pump, carbs, electrics, full suspension and some other stuff.  Then life happened and I haven't touched it since 2018.

I really need to finish getting it running/riding.

The following user(s) said Thank You: ThatGPzGuy, slayer61

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Move0ver.

What other bikes do you enjoy working on or riding other than your kz? 17 Jul 2023 08:33 #887334

• riturbo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 277

I just picked up an 05 636. How do you like yours? I’m still getting used to mine. 

I really havent ridden it much . Fun bike .Im used to something with a little more grunt . It goes fine as long as you wind it up and shift a lot . I picked it up cheap as it didnt run right . Turned out it had water in the gas . Changed it out and runs like new . One of my sons rides it mostly;

Gpz 750 turbo The one I ride
Gpz 750 turbo Not finished
Gpz 750 turbo Not started
Gpz 550 1981
Gpz 550 1983
Bunch of other junk

What other bikes do you enjoy working on or riding other than your kz? 17 Jul 2023 11:31 #887336

• TheTrout
  • User
  • Thank you received: 55
Does this count?  I haven't run it at the track in a couple of years.  Last time I had it out it did 51 mph/12 seconds in the eighth mile.

1978 KZ1000B2
The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7

Last edit: by TheTrout.

What other bikes do you enjoy working on or riding other than your kz? 17 Jul 2023 12:43 #887341

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
  • Thank you received: 265
This has been my test bench & ongoing project for almost 30 years. It's my interpretation of an 80's Superbike, the kind you saw at Willow Springs or Sears Point, Laguna Seca when I was a young & impressionable kid

It is presently back on the lift undergoing a head transplant! It is an 83 Suzuki GS1100 and it's in the process of getting a cylinder head from a (late) 80s Maybe 1990, GSXR 750

Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit
Wife's BIG bike...... 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and factory FI Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

What other bikes do you enjoy working on or riding other than your kz? 17 Jul 2023 12:58 #887342

• Kidkawie
  • User
  • I bleed premix
  • Thank you received: 245
I bought this bike as a basket case back in 2010.  I got it stable/reliable and won a vintage race with it at Budds Creek.  Started a restoration, went with a "Works Replica" had alot of aftermarket parts.  Then sourced some rare OEM parts and went full OEM/Showroom.  Everything was OEM, NOS or restored except the spokes and fork guards. It was the most original 94 KX250, I bought parts worldwide.
Got tired of looking at it in my livingroom and decided to plate it.  Still have all the OEM rare parts to convert it back.  But its a blast to ride.
​​​​​​Lowered, valved suspension. Engine is completely new, crank, piston, cylinder plating. Ported, case matched cylinder and cases. KDX wide ratio trans swap. E-Line stator with full electrical system. Custom aluminum and carbon fiber parts. Tons more mods. You can cruise at 70mph.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThatGPzGuy, slayer61, howardhb

What other bikes do you enjoy working on or riding other than your kz? 17 Jul 2023 13:00 #887343

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2678

This has been my test bench & ongoing project for almost 30 years. It's my interpretation of an 80's Superbike, the kind you saw at Willow Springs or Sears Point, Laguna Seca when I was a young & impressionable kid

I was at Willow Springs the day a young kid named Kevin Schwantz was given a trial ride on a kitted out factory GS750.  The field left while he sat on the grid, spotting everybody about 1/2 lap.  He then took off, and proceeded to pass the leader on the fastest part of the track, on the outside, only two laps later.  This must have been 40 years ago, but it's still etched in my mind!  
The following user(s) said Thank You: slayer61, Wookie58

What other bikes do you enjoy working on or riding other than your kz? 17 Jul 2023 15:18 #887349

• Kelly E
  • User
  • Never Give Up. Never Surrender
  • Thank you received: 305
Here's a bike we resurrected for a friend a couple of years ago. It's a 64' Norton Atlas 750 that he calls the London Death Machine. It was in two different shops and both charged him money but from what I could tell neither shop did a damn thing. We went through the brakes, repaired motor mounts, fixed the oil tank and battery box, rebuilt the forks, rebuilt the carbs, replaced the wiring harness, designed and built gas tank mounts and seat mounts.
The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1981 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda Sabre 700
1984 Honda Interceptor 1000
1994 Kawasaki ZG 1000 Concours
And more
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThatGPzGuy, Wookie58

What other bikes do you enjoy working on or riding other than your kz? 17 Jul 2023 15:23 #887350

• sf4t7
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 247
wow - cool Norton!

Scotty
Scotty

1974 Z1A
welded Z1 crank
Andrews 1X Cams
Delkevic 4 into 1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kelly E

What other bikes do you enjoy working on or riding other than your kz? 18 Jul 2023 07:27 #887365

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
  • Thank you received: 265

I was at Willow Springs the day a young kid named Kevin Schwantz was given a trial ride on a kitted out factory GS750.  The field left while he sat on the grid, spotting everybody about 1/2 lap.  He then took off, and proceeded to pass the leader on the fastest part of the track, on the outside, only two laps later.  This must have been 40 years ago, but it's still etched in my mind!  
It's too bad I didn't see you there that day. I would've said hey! I can still remember him wheelieing down the hill from the Budweiser Balcony. Yes he stood head & shoulders above the crowd that day! I was there supporting a young Tom Houseworth.
Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit
Wife's BIG bike...... 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and factory FI Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods

What other bikes do you enjoy working on or riding other than your kz? 18 Jul 2023 10:06 #887375

• Franklin
  • User
  • Thank you received: 13
Don't want to overdo it with Bandit stuff but the other Bandit guy might be interested. Got a used Delkevic carbon tri-oval pipe for it. Was pretty dirty but cleaned up nice. There was a dent in one of the pipes but I was able to get a pipe expander in and got it nearly smooth. Don't really like the look of it that much but it's a nice system. Removed emissions stuff and put in blocking plates.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BCScott

Last edit: by Franklin.

What other bikes do you enjoy working on or riding other than your kz? 18 Jul 2023 10:18 #887376

• Franklin
  • User
  • Thank you received: 13
Also did stainless brake lines front and rear. A cool thing is the small piggyback rear reservior. It was listed for GSXR not Bandit but the port and bolt hole lined right up with the master cylinder.
Attachments:

What other bikes do you enjoy working on or riding other than your kz? 18 Jul 2023 13:37 #887381

• BCScott
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 97
Thanks. I also had a 2002 1200S, which at 16,000 kms threw the nut and washer from the alternator gear into the bottom end, seizing the engine. I traded it in on the 2004 and kept the Yoshimura slip on from the '02. I'm kind of enjoying the stock sound of the OEM system though. I even bought a baffle for the Yoshi, as it was removed before I got it. My "wake the neighbours" days are over. I let my son do that with his R3. I may do SS brake cables this winter.

Kelly, that Norton looks terrific!
Back in the saddle and loving it! KZ1000A1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kelly E

Last edit: by BCScott.