Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Using a drill as an electric starter? 06 Jul 2023 13:19 #886928

• blipco
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
  • Thank you received: 223
Project Farm starts his lawn mowers with a battery drill.
"Swim against the current, even a dead fish can go with the flow"-somebody (I forget Who)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nerdy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Using a drill as an electric starter? 06 Jul 2023 13:59 #886930

• Nerdy
  • Nerdy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 379

What have you got lose (except a garage window when the socket flys off  ) just watch you don't break your wrist 

Fortunately the workshop is in the basement and has only one window, so nothing can go wrong there.

I plan to start by pulling the spark plug and turning the engine over with the cordless as a sort of baseline: if it really struggles, I'll switch to the smaller corded drill and see how that goes. Then re-install the plug and try again, etc. I'm hoping to get to it this weekend. Cheers!

Oooh, I better check the battery.
1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

Using a drill as an electric starter? 07 Jul 2023 09:38 #886956

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
  • Thank you received: 265
It is/was a pretty common mod in the flat track world. Especially old guys riding/racing old cantankerous vintage bikes     See the modified cover with the flush fitting bolt in the middle of the cover. ;)

dammit... ETA #2. It didn't use a drill motor. Off the top of my head, it was a Toyota truck starter motor mounted onto a hand held frame. Sorry, no pics of it  :(
Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit
Wife's BIG bike...... 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and factory FI Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

Last edit: by slayer61.

Using a drill as an electric starter? 07 Jul 2023 12:07 #886959

• Injected
  • User
  • Thank you received: 403

It is/was a pretty common mod in the flat track world. Especially old guys riding/racing old cantankerous vintage bikes     See the modified cover with the flush fitting bolt in the middle of the cover. ;)
dammit... ETA #2. It didn't use a drill motor. Off the top of my head, it was a Toyota truck starter motor mounted onto a hand held frame. Sorry, no pics of it  :(

Toyota diesel truck starter motor, just as strong as the 440 Chrysler but more compact, more $$ used. I believe they are a high torque starter motor.

Using a drill as an electric starter? 07 Jul 2023 13:03 #886960

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
  • Thank you received: 265

Toyota diesel truck starter motor, just as strong as the 440 Chrysler but more compact, more $$ used. I believe they are a high torque starter motor.
I believe mine was from the gas model. Either way, it was turning over almost 670ccs at a time of 13:1 on that old blue bike in the picture above. If you're using one to spin a 4 cylinder, 1000 cc, you're really only compressing 250cc at a time. Easy peasey. 
Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit
Wife's BIG bike...... 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and factory FI Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods

Using a drill as an electric starter? 07 Jul 2023 13:42 #886961

• Injected
  • User
Gasoline drag bikes these days are 1500-1670cc - running off the shelf 13:1 piston that is decked from both directions yielding anywhere from 300-340 PSI cranking compression. They now require specific high torque starters, don't know if the old Chrysler unit would last too long. They were prone to breaking shafts on a hot start, if you run big CC supercharged and over 50% Nitro they don't work.

Even my little 831cc NA injected bike running 40% Nitro would lock up the Chrysler starter the odd time.

Using a drill as an electric starter? 07 Jul 2023 15:49 #886970

• urankjj
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 201
I've heard that ' ignition timing ' can greatly influence start up requirements on any motor.  Just 2 cents.....

Using a drill as an electric starter? 07 Jul 2023 19:04 #886973

• Injected
  • User

I've heard that ' ignition timing ' can greatly influence start up requirements on any motor.  Just 2 cents.....

Attachments:

• Page: