Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Model Year Manual Clarity 05 Dec 2021 03:16 #858625

• Dr. Frankenstein
  • Dr. Frankenstein's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi all - it's been a while, but I recently picked up a $100 1979 KZ400H-1 LTD with 19K on the clock that the PO says has been in storage for about 25 years and was wondering about the service manual - is it the same for the KZ440?  

I've heard a lot of good things about that engine and I'll have many questions when I finally get this beauty up on the slab - like where to find a decent seat - but I'm open to any observations and advice right now; thanks! 
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Street Fighter LTD.

Model Year Manual Clarity 05 Dec 2021 04:39 #858626

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1983
Nice  project 
PLEASE  next time click insert all when installing  pictures before clicking submit
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

Model Year Manual Clarity 05 Dec 2021 05:12 #858627

• Dr. Frankenstein
  • User
Ooops - Sorry Dave, My Bad. Like I said, it's been a while...

Thanks; this site was invaluable when it came to restoring my KZ650 so I thought I would inquire here; Can I use the 440 manual for this bike, or is it a separate bird?

Model Year Manual Clarity 05 Dec 2021 06:04 #858628

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1630
I would get the correct manual.  KZ400.com has one that's broken down into 15 or 20 pdfs & includes the 400-H1 supplement.
Warning: the forums at the kz400 site may harm your computer. I don't know if this is still a problem, so beware.
For a hard copy most Kawasaki FSMs have a model application chart on the back cover, so make sure you motorcycle is listed.
There are separate H1 supplement manuals on EB, but also the 78-79 FSM that includes the supplement for your motorcycle.

Here's one that covers the B1/B2/C1/H1.  EB item number:  353539586619

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Model Year Manual Clarity 07 Dec 2021 04:06 #858714

• Dr. Frankenstein
  • User
Actually I lucked out and found a hardcopy of the KZ400 shop manual online for $30, and downloaded the supplement so I should be good to go as far as repair literature goes; but yesterday as I was doing a little triage and spraying all the nuts and bolts down with PB, the left side chain cover and adjuster cover gave me some attitude and I was forced to drill out two screws on the case. I eventually got the screw heads off, but was then confronted by this:

The nut on the adjuster will turn with a socket, but the screw in the middle turns with it and just will not turn with a screwdriver, to the point of being dangerously close to stripping out. And of course everything is rusted up really well. That screw shaft on the right is also really rusted in there and won't budge even with the application of vise grips.  I've tried heat, brute force, even an impact driver on the nut/screw assembly. Any tips? It's the last holdout to keeping me from seeing how it looks behind the cover.

Also, just an FYI, but a few years ago I discovered this trick to getting rusted-in screws to release - clamp a vise grip on the shaft of your screwdriver (yes, those are JIS screwdrivers; they're the only thing I use on Japanese bikes), add a little valve polishing compound for extra grip on the head, push in really hard with the screwdriver and use the vise grip to turn the screw:

Nine times out of ten (there's Always One that puts up a fight!) they'll release with a little 'snap'. 
Attachments:

Last edit: by Dr. Frankenstein.

Model Year Manual Clarity 07 Dec 2021 06:22 #858719

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2081
I would soak that adjuster in PB a couple of times per day for two or three more days and then bring a heat gun to bear on it
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Model Year Manual Clarity 07 Dec 2021 13:08 #858744

• Dr. Frankenstein
  • User
Ahh, but Wait, There's More...I tried to get the boots off the manifold today, and of course there is Always One - it wound up snapping off in the head, which resulted in a lot of colorful invective from me...

I'm thinking a left-hand screw, maybe...? Tap a little hole in there and twist it in far enough so I can get a good grip on it...any ideas? 

The rest of my explorations were pretty uneventful - - Air Box - "Aww, NUTS!" 

...and the carb - meh; a carb kit; it'll freshen right up!

Attachments:

Model Year Manual Clarity 07 Dec 2021 13:16 #858747

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1876
You need an impact driver

if you have access to a welder try welding a nut to the bolt for the carb holder. If not I’d grind it flat, center punch it and use left handed drill bits. Starting small to larger. harbor freight sell them. 

1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.
Attachments:

Last edit: by Mikaw.

Model Year Manual Clarity 07 Dec 2021 13:28 #858750

• Dr. Frankenstein
  • User
I've only had minimal success with impact drivers, out of the three I have in the tool chest including the Vessel Impacta; sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Is that a JIS impact driver? The ones I have, the bits are usually too big, but like I said, they either work or they don't. Funny, a welder is pretty much the ONE tool I don't have!  And I don't know if there's going to be enough room for a drill in there, but that's a good idea - worth a shot.

Last edit: by Dr. Frankenstein.
  • Page: