• Page:

TOPIC:

Following the pack 26 Jul 2007 10:08 #159824

• Virii
  • Virii's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • I like cheese
  • Thank you received: 1
I've seen some varying ideologies when it comes to riding in groups and I wonder if anybody else has had differing or similar experiences.

Generally, everybody agrees that the person who knows the terrain and ride plan should lead. That seems obvious enough. While they're riding, they point with their left hand or right foot if there are things that others need to see. Obstacles, hazards, interesting sites, etc.

In my experience, the less experienced riders group staggered in the body of the group and the more experienced riders follow up to keep an eye on things and make sure that nobody falls behind, gets left behind and to catch up and try to head off potential problems with the more inexperienced riders.

Collectively, the riders form a capsule, keeping together and looking out for each other while enjoying the ride.

Additionally, when riding in pairs and small groups, I've heard others talk about keeping others (particularly if inexperienced) at their immediate side. That sounds contrary to what I'd expect given I don't know you and how you react and don't know if you can ride safely in parallel. It seems to me that if we stagger, one of us will be in the others mirror at all times and that seems more appropriate.

From what I've seen and heard, in the Harley community, there is a lead or leads and everybody is pretty much on their own to keep up and inexperienced riders may often trail behind. Maybe this is actually fairly common?
Tess: 1977 KZ650-C1. VM24, 97.5/15/3rd. Dyna-S. Stock exhaust, coil mod performed, BR7EIX.

Angel: 1982 GPz550. Stock. DR8EIX.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Following the pack 26 Jul 2007 10:13 #159826

• mariozappa
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
Staggered formation. Experienced guys up front and behind, everybody else in the middle.
1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

Following the pack 26 Jul 2007 12:41 #159877

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
If the group's big enough, and the ride's long enough, the leaders will have to stop and wait for the trailers. It's inevitable.
It's hard to know if you lost a rider because his bladder's full, or his chain came off. I like the "wing man" system. Pair up, and ride with your buddy. If he stops, you stop. If he breaks down, you can give him a ride if you can't get the bike running.
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

Following the pack 26 Jul 2007 16:05 #159922

• The Milkman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 194
If by "immediate side" you mean side by side, that is a definite no, no. It's always staggered, unless of course you have some squids in the group, they don't pay any attention to the "rules" anyway.
78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

Following the pack 27 Jul 2007 15:20 #160137

• Bluemeanie
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
Staggered, you ALWAYS want somewhere to go just in case! Always have an out... ;)
1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

Following the pack 27 Jul 2007 21:52 #160229

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
Staggered, no question...and everyone follows the 2 second rule, as well. In fact, it's illegal in the province of Alberta to ride any other way with 2 or more bikes together.
For long distance rides, EVERYONE has a map and EVERYONE knows where the stopping places are for lunch, dinner and bedtime. As posted by ltdrider, the buddy system works great and sometimes even 3 buddies together.
In my experience there seem to be the three groups of riders on most long road trips:
1) the hard core radar busters
2) the average guys running at 5-10 over the limit
3) the slow guys at 5-10 under the limit
We all get to the same places each day.....some just faster or slower than others. ;)
KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

Following the pack 27 Jul 2007 23:47 #160244

• Virii
  • User
  • I like cheese
Bluemeanie wrote:

Staggered, you ALWAYS want somewhere to go just in case! Always have an out... ;)

Exactly my thought. I've seen a lot of side by side lately and it makes me uncomfortable just to watch. Suddenly something as simple as that gust of wind could take you both out in a heartbeat.

Post edited by: Virii, at: 2007/07/28 02:48
Tess: 1977 KZ650-C1. VM24, 97.5/15/3rd. Dyna-S. Stock exhaust, coil mod performed, BR7EIX.

Following the pack 27 Jul 2007 23:52 #160245

• Virii
  • User
  • I like cheese
I wonder if a lot of it comes from the local Sherrif and State Patrol bikes. Those guys are always riding side by side.

Following the pack 28 Jul 2007 03:26 #160257

• tjettim
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
In the curves,single file.On the straights staggered
unless you realy know the rider's habits.Also watch
for riders that stagger but ride in your blind spot
in your mirrors.Make sure the guys in the back have
cell phones.

Following the pack 28 Jul 2007 07:31 #160285

• DasTeufel
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
When the road allows, staggered formation. Once the road starts developing into winding turns, you will want to go single file so that everyone has the opportunity to use the lane as they need. I was on a pretty good sized group ride earlier in the year, I was running sweep with a buddy of mine. We had a rider go down in a pretty twisty section of road. He admitted to trying to maintain the staggered formation, and in the process ran off into the soft section of the shoulder. He wasn't hurt, except for his pride, and his bike was still rideable, save for a tweaked shifter. It was a valuable lesson for him.
I've also lead a few group rides, and for the most part many have been able to maintain my pace. However, one did make a good point. When the road straightens out, slow down a bit so that the stragglers can catch back up. In the curves it's natural for people to spread out. I once left a buddy of mine in the back of the pack and I took off like a bat out of hell. Three miles later after I turn off onto a new road and waiting for the slower riders, I watched him go past where I turned off. After that day, I make sure I regroup everybody, and that the sweep IS able to catch up to those that stray.
2009 KTM 690 SMC
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
2001 Suzuki GSXR 750

Wildomar, CA

Following the pack 28 Jul 2007 09:21 #160298

• CruisingRam
  • User
  • Thank you received: 15
Staggered, 2 second rule, experianced and "trail boss" (knows the route best) up front, all noobs and not so good riders, or those unfamiliar with where we are going, in the pack, sweep in back should be as good as the point.

I am usually two up with alot of sportbikers- so I ride sweep as the slowest bike as well.
1975 Z1 B 900- soon to be heavily modded
Pahoa, Hawaii is my new hom
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.

Following the pack 28 Jul 2007 09:22 #160299

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
  • Thank you received: 1278
If we have a large group we break up into groups of five or six with plenty of time between groups. This seems to lessen the tendency to pogo with it's dangerous stacking up phase.

Of course the staggered formation with the two second space is expected. Each group's leader signals the protocol by holding up a single finger as the road tightens up, two fingers once the road straightens.

On straight wide open stretches I will ride dual with another rider if he or she's comfortable with it.

My brother and I often ride dual in town partly because it's fun and partly because we can. It's not uncommon to see two motor cops riding dual and most folks think that only the cops can do it legally.

KZCSI
www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

• Page: