Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Z1 Classic \"Barn find\" 02 Jul 2007 14:23 #154285

• EsaPro
  • EsaPro's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I just "discovered" today, a Z1 Classic 1000, in somewhat rough shape, four doors down from my house. It is under a tarp in a neighbor's backyard. He has had it for 5 years. Missing the left side cover, some chroming on the cases is peeling, and it looks like, well, like it has been sitting outside under a tarp for 5 years. Has fuel injection, which I think makes it an '80 (I did not get the number off the frame). Runs, I am told. Cafe faring is busted, seat is missing a chunk, and I know it has been down more than once (Heard the story of the last one from the guys' son...). I started warming him up to the fact that I would take it off his hands, as he indicated he is trying to downsize his collection of cars & bikes. You know the question: What's fair? $1/cc? I would think less due to the condition. I am also thinking the fuel-injected Z1 is something special.

What say the Z1 experts of KZRider? :cheer:
Jim
79 KZ750 Twin (Fun!)
07 Yamaha 1300 (Plush!)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Z1 Classic \"Barn find\" 02 Jul 2007 15:04 #154302

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
IMO $200-$300. Bikes under rotting tarps turn up fairly regularly around these parts.

Really have to see it to say for sure...

Are fork tubes rusty? straight?
Are tires flat? = Will rims need sanding?
Are rims straight?
Is engine scraped or chipped.
Does it have paperwork?
Is tank rusty?
Is chrome rusty?
Are brake pistons pitted?
Are brake resorvoirs full of nasty fluid?
Is compression good?
clock mount broken?
clocks intact andworking?
locks match? keys?
Engine Aluminum pitted?

yada yada yada

Z1 Classic \"Barn find\" 02 Jul 2007 18:12 #154338

• IowaKZ
  • User
  • '80 G1 Classic
  • Thank you received: 5
I've got a G1 classic. That's a fairly rare bike IMO, only made 1 year. But being under a tarp probably didn't do anything to help its value. Almost everyone I have seen has had peeling or bubbling on the chrome engine covers.

Also, the tank has a chrome panel, mine are dinged and have a few rust holes.

Does it have the original 4-2 exhaust, grab bar? Those might raise the value a little.

This EFI system doesn't add a lot of value in the minds of most people because they weren't very reliable (mine seems to be holding up well). Most people replaced them with carbs. You could go with megasquirt if the fuel pump and injectors work and the computer is fried.
1980 G1 Classic
Bettendorf, Iowa

Z1 Classic \"Barn find\" 02 Jul 2007 18:34 #154341

• kawtoy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
Duck is dead on, $200-300. The Classic is rare as far as KZ's go but that does not mean it is worth any more than a regular KZ. The values for the CLassic seem to be the same as any other KZ in equal condition. I think you ar elooking at a $200 bike there. After 5 years it will need at the very minimum
Tires
Battery
Injectors removed and cleaned
Seat
Calipers clean and maybe rebuilt
Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

Z1 Classic \"Barn find\" 03 Jul 2007 06:18 #154436

• EsaPro
  • EsaPro's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I have read (redline, I believe) where the injectors were notorious for failing. They have some used/rebuilt units for a tidy sum... :ohmy: Nosing around the 'net, it also looks like I will have a hell of a time finding a "classic" cover to replace the missing one.

It has a 4-1 Kerker, no grab bar or rear fender, drag bars. Got that streetfighter look going. Wiring exposed from the missing left side cover really help to enhance the rat bike image! :pinch:

It's a good situation for me: It sits 4 houses down from me, and I see the guy almost daily. No hurries, no worries.
Jim
79 KZ750 Twin (Fun!)
07 Yamaha 1300 (Plush!)

Z1 Classic \"Barn find\" 03 Jul 2007 06:33 #154439

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
here is what I do when looking at a project, whats it going to cost to get it up and running, then what it going to cost to get it the way I want.
not seeing the bike I would put a dollar figure on, tires, rebuild brakes, rebuild carbs/fuel system, chain, major tune up, poss motor work, paint.
if it adds up to my budget then go for it
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

• Page: