• Page:

TOPIC:

Thinking about buying a 1980 Z1 Classic 19 Jun 2007 13:59 #150920

• Skyman
  • Skyman's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
  • Thank you received: 3
I was at a company picnic last night, and one of my coworkers mentioned that his dad used to ride a bike similar to mine. He wasn't sure what make or model it was. He said it had been sitting in his dad's garage for years.

I asked him to ask his dad if it was a Kawi, and if it was, did he want to sell it?

Found out today that is it is a 1980 Z1 Classic with fuel injection. But he said the FI is not working. He said he would sell it for $1200.

I don't know yet the mileage or condition. But assuming that it is in good shape, and the only problem is the FI :blink: , does this sound like a good deal? Is this a desireable model?

What should I know about the FI systems? Are parts available to fix them, or can these be converted to carbs?
West Linn, OR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Thinking about buying a 1980 Z1 Classic 19 Jun 2007 14:58 #150933

• kawtoy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
They are no more or less valuable than any other KZ. The paint scheme is unique to the Classic and can go bad in a hurry. As far as the I goes, don't worry about it. They are easily converted to carbs and that is what many people ended up doing. Not sure if you need a new brain box or not. $1200 might be pushing it if it is not running. It will depened on how it looks and how many miles it has. If it has been sitting you will need at the least a battery, tires, carbs (or fix FI), plugs, oil filter, oil and air filter. Most likey it will also need intake boots, valve cover gasket, tank cleaned, brakes and who knows what else. I would try to get it cheaper. Be sure to mention all the work it will need. I am sure he will be adding it all up in his head and may soon realize it is not worth keeping.
Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

Thinking about buying a 1980 Z1 Classic 19 Jun 2007 15:15 #150939

• Skyman
  • User
I talked some more with my coworker.

His dad told him the FI needs a new "computer". I assume that's what you meant by a new "brain". Are those available, or can an alternative be adapted?

I also found out it has a "custom paint job". :S I assume that meant he removed the chrome tank panels.

I asked to see photos before I give it any more consideration.

Agreed that $1200 is on the high side for a non-running bike. That will need to change before I get it.
West Linn, OR

Thinking about buying a 1980 Z1 Classic 19 Jun 2007 20:40 #151014

• IowaKZ
  • User
  • '80 G1 Classic
  • Thank you received: 5
I think 1200 is high for a non runner.

I think that you might find the computers on ebay from time to time. Also, I think another member might have had one for sale a while ago.

you can always go to carbs, or the other way with a megasquirt. If you do the latter, you are part way there with the fuel pump and the injectors (assuming they work) Also, the temp sensor is already in place.

too bad if he took off the side panels from the tank. the PO of my G1 classic repainted mine but left the panels in place.
1980 G1 Classic
Bettendorf, Iowa

Thinking about buying a 1980 Z1 Classic 19 Jun 2007 22:28 #151029

• mrbreeze
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I would bet if you showed up with $900 cash you could roll it off. Of course depending on the "custom" paint job and missing stuff I would be disappointed and maybe offer less...

You could mention that you were hoping for an all original machine, especially the paint. After that I would bring up all the work that Kawtoy mentioned.

The Blue Book price is somewhere around $1800 for that machine in excellent shape.

The problem with Blue Book is it really doesn't take into consideration how desirable these old Kaws really are and are likely to be in the future.

As far as your question about it being a desirable bike.... Yes, Oh yes.

Thinking about buying a 1980 Z1 Classic 20 Jun 2007 06:20 #151072

• smithgpz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
i have every thing you would need to fix the fuel inj.i have 2 injection computers,intake rubbers etc.and every thing works fine.if you need any thing for a kz1000g i can help.;) just let me know.

Thinking about buying a 1980 Z1 Classic 20 Jun 2007 09:57 #151135

• Skyman
  • User
smithgpz wrote:

i have every thing you would need to fix the fuel inj.i have 2 injection computers,intake rubbers etc.and every thing works fine.if you need any thing for a kz1000g i can help.;) just let me know.

Thanks, Smith. If it starts to get serious, I'll talk to you about some pricing for the computers before I make any offers on the bike. I'm still waiting to see pics and mileage info.
West Linn, OR

Thinking about buying a 1980 Z1 Classic 20 Jun 2007 10:41 #151149

• mariozappa
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
Maybe The Gringo will chime in. He owns a 1980 KZ1000 Z1 Classic
1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

• Page: