Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Ethanol injection? 31 May 2007 22:40 #145409

• Makarth
  • Makarth's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Here's an odd but maybe cheaper alternative to nitrous.
-ethanol burns cooler
-ethanol has a lower stoichiometric ratio 6.5/1 (compared to gasoline's 14.6/1)
-ethanol has 66% the energy per lb that gasoline
-ethanol has an octane of 113 (pure)

Now for the idea.... a simple flex fuel pump and some silicon houses and direct injection jets. Flip a switch and vroom. However, some problems would include how alcohol reacts to other organic products including natural oil. This can be easily dealt with by replacing any "natural" rubbers with synthetic counter-parts as well as finding an oil that will stand up to the use of alcohol. However the beautiful thing about ethanol lies within its stoichiometric ratio. It behaves like nitrous and gasoline in that it has its own oxidizer and means you can cram a whole lot more ethanol in the cylinders then you could with just gasoline alone. So in other words (after working out calculations) if you ran off of pure alcohol, even though you would consume more volume, you would gain more power per displacement. Sound confusing? Now what makes this a possibly cheaper route is the fact it can be so easily made at home with a simple high volume fuel pump and some easily machined or found jets. Of course it would be just easier to put nitrous but that would be just like saying that half you guys could just buy a GSXR 600 instead of making kz's faster to begin with :evil: plus ethanol is a little less volatile then nitrous and its always fun to start these threads and discuss them. Correct me if i need it, thanks for listening.

1977 kz1000 - Megasquirt project @ 40% wiring, plenum, and exhaust<--(done!)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ethanol injection? 01 Jun 2007 04:42 #145431

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
they dont mix, it takes apx 2x the amount of fuel to get the same power of gas, and it wants to see more compression to get the most out of the fuel.
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

Ethanol injection? 01 Jun 2007 08:28 #145476

• kawtoy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
Interesting idea but I think if it were that easy and worked that well then it would be in use already. There just has to be a catch. Just saw that you are in the Boro during school. A friend of mine and fellow KZR member is from Memphis and goes to MTSU. Drop me a line if you ever want to hook up for a ride with us or if you need any help with the bike. I have lots of tools and a fair amount of experience so I should be able to help out. I am in Clarksville which is not too far from the Boro.
Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

• Page: