Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

A Tale of Two Zeds 12 Nov 2022 16:45 #876725

• Bevelhead
  • Bevelhead's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 47
Can't do much more with the MK2 without its engine, but recently collected the ported head and its now gone off for ahigh tech coating. Once that's done it can go on top of the engine, and the engine can go in the frame at last. 

In the meantime, been working on the Z1000A1. After 8 months of looking finally found a good front wheel, from a Z900RS, so once I fit a new tyre n the week, I can assemble the rolling chassis very loosely. See how it looks for the first time. 

Made a mount for the KOSO speedo/tacho, from a piece of 4mm plate, bent 45 degrees. Once shaped, it'll need to be finished in satin black to match the yokes. Also needed to make a housing for the GPS aerial needed for the speedo, made from a piece of 20mm alloy. It has a perspex window, not in the photos. May still do a bit more work on this, may look ok, once painted.

Also bought a carbon fibre front mudguard from a German supplier, called FF carbon. Need to make a suitable mount for it, as don't like the factory mount, looks too angular. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A Tale of Two Zeds 16 Nov 2022 12:45 #876906

• Bevelhead
  • User
Spend the morning loosely assembling the Z1000A1.

With no rear shocks yet, the bike almost fell over when I tried to fit the second fork leg, as the additional weight unbalanced the frame. Therefore, I had a look in my garage for something to link the swing arm to the frame. I found an old alloy tool I made years ago for another task, quickly drilled it and it worked ok in place of the shocks.

Once the front end was fitted it was no longer needed. Though I had to refit it when taking everything apart later.

Found a few unexpected problems along the way, good to find out now rather than later during the final build.

Z1000A1 seems smaller and more compact than the MK2 though it probably isn't really

A Tale of Two Zeds 16 Nov 2022 12:52 #876908

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1765
They are coming along nicely, what's the plans for the blower in the pic of the Koso mount ?

A Tale of Two Zeds 16 Nov 2022 13:51 #876909

• Bevelhead
  • User
That photo was taken at my mates workshop, he was making new end cases for some blowers.. Eaton M60's I think for his drag bike projects.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

A Tale of Two Zeds 14 Dec 2022 07:27 #877806

• Bevelhead
  • User
Made a mount for the rear master cylinder, to work with the Tarozzi rear sets, next need to mount its reservoir behind the side panel..

Meanwhile its a bit cold to be working in my unheated garage at the moment, so loosely assembled the Z1000A1 cases in my living room. The head still needs to go off to be given a ceramic coating to match the cases. The head was the one the machine shop dropped and broke six fins, now repaired.

Also painted the Z1000A1 dash, along with the GPS housing..

A Tale of Two Zeds 18 Jan 2023 10:33 #878951

• Bevelhead
  • User
I surprised myself yesterday, as I managed to push the MK2 up hill and down dale over two miles to my mates workshop where we will will fit its newly rebuilt engine. Doubt I could push it home with the extra weight of the engine, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. The flat bits are ok, but any incline is hard work.

A half hour job took all afternoon, but the engine is in the frame at last, barrels and head can be fitted with the engine in the frame. Still need to mod a couple of engine brackets. One of the rear ones, which also holds up the battery box had been drilled to 12mm in its old life, so need to get that welded up and re-drilled to 10mm. While the two lower engine bolts are a little too short now I'm using billet 10mm mounting brackets. Now I now how short, new longer bolts have been ordered. 

A Tale of Two Zeds 18 Jan 2023 11:20 #878954

• Wheelhop
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 292
very nice!  Too bad you are across the pond or I would have helped you push the bike home!  
1978 KZ 1000B (73 tribute)
1977 KZ1000 project
1976 KZ 900
1976 KV 75
1976 Honda Elsinore MT250
1974 Z1 900 project
1971 Honda CT70

A Tale of Two Zeds 20 Jan 2023 09:40 #879059

• Bevelhead
  • User

very nice!  Too bad you are across the pond or I would have helped you push the bike home!  

Hopefully, I can get a van to take the bike and me home..