Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Z650 / 1170 Project 30 Jul 2021 10:36 #852849

• Bevelhead
  • Bevelhead's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 47
With a new homemade spindle I could finally fit the rear end, though the bearing kit I bought for the swingarm didn't include any spacers, so need to find or buy whatever is required. Life would be easier if I could lift the bike off the ground, and onto a bike lift, but nearly put my back out trying on my own, so it can stay on its sump for now.

Made a start on the foot controls, chain drilled the mounts from 10mm alloy plate, test fit on the frame, showed I'd made another mistake. The brackets put the foot pegs 40mm lower than the standard position, so the gearchange side will need to be remade, while the brake side can be saved I think.

With the 43mm R6 forks off being rebuilt, I dug out an old pair of ZRX stanchions to try out the head light mounts. We weren't sure how big to make them, so they turned out to be way too long. So need to cut them back to bring the headlight back much closer to the headstock.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Z650 / 1170 Project 30 Jul 2021 10:43 #852850

• Bevelhead
  • User
Shortened the headlamp brackets, which let me try a test fit of the R90S fairing.. it'll need a few mm cutting off at the lower edges where it just hits the tank on full lock. The bars in the pic are set wrong, they need rotating back, so they wont touch the fairing.

The instrument pod.. tacho/speedo/idiot lights arrived, along with the handlebar switches from Motogadget, which work well with the M-Unit. Finally went for something I've not tried before.. the speed sensor for the speedo works via GPS. No need for any wires/magnets on the front wheel.

Meanwhile the rear sets are almost finished, they'll probably be hard anodised in satin black. They rotate on sealed roller bearings..

Today a side stand arrived, and not unexpectantly it interfered with the movement of the gear lever, it will have to be modded in some way.

Z650 / 1170 Project 02 Aug 2021 01:06 #853019

• molark5
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
NIce project. I'm curious about the accuracy of the wireless/magnet-less speed sensors.

Z650 / 1170 Project 02 Aug 2021 12:23 #853040

• Bevelhead
  • User
Me too, according to google.. Under right conditions, such as unobstructed location under a clear sky, it is accurate within 0.2 miles/hour. What this means is that as long as the device has access to the GPS satellite, it maintains its accuracy. 

I have also been told, though not checked yet, the the GPS sensor needs a sight of the sky to work, so cant fit it under the tank or seat etc. 

Z650 / 1170 Project 07 Aug 2021 17:49 #853383

• Bevelhead
  • User
After a lot of hassle, the bike is finally on its wheels for the first time..

The speedo mount is almost done, just need to shape the lower part and paint it satin black. The front end will be getting all new fasteners and brake lines, though still need to buy the clutch and brake master cylinders.

Waiting for a couple of blank rear sprockets to arrive, which will then need to be drilled to fit the rear wheel hub. The latter being drilled unlike any standard bike.. sigh !

Hope to try fitting the 4-1 exhaust tomorrow, and no doubt a hundred other jobs that still need to be done. BTW the bars are titled back as the fork preload adjusted get in the way of tilting them up. Shouldn't be a problem when the forks are dropped in the yokes correctly, but we'll see.

Z650 / 1170 Project 08 Aug 2021 15:57 #853412

• 750 R1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 394
Looking good mate. What ended up being the distance from the fork to the hole for the headlight on your alloy mounts ?  I'm not quite there yet but aren't far away, I have a set of mounts but am curious as to where you ended up...

Z650 / 1170 Project 09 Aug 2021 06:17 #853440

• Bevelhead
  • User
The headlamp mounts are 70mm from the fork edge to the centre of the mounting hole. That said, I'm using an 80mm diam. instrument pod, which is smaller than the OE speedo and tacho set up. 

Z650 / 1170 Project 09 Aug 2021 14:55 #853464

• 750 R1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 394
Thanks mate, I think mine are 100mm so they should be ok, I'm using later 1984 GPZ gauges, they don't take up as much room as the stockers, My bike is, or was a GPZ 750 R1..

Z650 / 1170 Project 09 Aug 2021 16:04 #853471

• Skidmark
  • User
  • Thank you received: 260
Here is where I mounted the speed sensor for my gps speedo.

Retired gearhead
'81 KZ-750 E2
'87 Suzuki Savage 650 Street Tracker
Attachments:

Z650 / 1170 Project 10 Aug 2021 03:16 #853492

• Bevelhead
  • User
My first 'big' bike was a 83 Z750L3, same as your R1, but without the fairing.. did 160,000miles on that, wish I still had it.  

Z650 / 1170 Project 10 Aug 2021 03:17 #853493

• Bevelhead
  • User
The GPS sensor I have is white, perhaps it could be painted black to help hide it.. something to think about..

Z650 / 1170 Project 10 Aug 2021 10:10 #853513

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
I have mounted Speedhut GPS sensors under the tail on my kz1000 and under the side-cover (positioned upwards) on my kz750 and they work in both locations although occasionally the side-cover one takes a while to acquire signal - up to 10-15 min every 30 start-ups or so. It usually acquires signal in less than 5 min. No complaints with the tail mounted sensor

BTW i am really diggin those wheels, your friend is a talented machinist. It would be awesome if you got the centers anodized or something.

Last edit: by DoctoRot.