Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

81/82 KZ440 Project RUSTY 22 May 2020 17:57 #826357

• Peanuthead
  • Peanuthead's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
So this "little" project of mine was supposed to take roughly 2 months (back in 2012) but life happened. Here's the cliff notes version:
Bought non-running 82 KZ440 in 2011 while I was in school in TX. I spent the whole time getting her running (carbs and starter rebuild) JUST to find out on the first ride that the frame was bent. I brought it home to MD later that year, deployed to Afghanistan in 2012, found a clean titled (unbent) frame, decided to turn it into a bobber since I had a naked frame.

So since 2012 to now, I VERY slowly started working/modifying it. I amassed a ton of parts too (fatbob tanks, rebel fenders, fairings, sportster shocks,& various lights). SO now that this covid-19 b*******t has happened, I've spent my free time in the garage,again! For your enjoyment, here is project RUSTY.
How she looked the day I bought her.

Leaving TX to MD.

Harley fatbob tanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Peanuthead.

81/82 KZ440 Project RUSTY 22 May 2020 18:16 #826358

• Peanuthead
  • User
Here are the most current pictures of Rusty. For anyone who is curious as why I picked Rusty as the name, well its kinda silly. I have boys and their names are 3 of the letters. Ryan (13), Sam(3), & Tucker (1). My wife had said that she wouldn't mind riding the 440 next year for Delmarva Bike week but I'm gonna try and get her running for this years. I'm getting close. I ditched the 5 gal tank idea, installed a 4x6 LED headlight, LED turns & tail light on the back, and I'm now doing the wiring. This is the cluster I built after ditching the 5 gal fatbob tanks. I found this Suzuki dual gauge on eBay back in 2012 while in Afghanistan. Below the gauge are the turn signal indicators and oil warning lights. The switch on the left is an On-Off-On for the headlight, below that is a cigarette lighter (for now-USB plug to replace later), and on the right we have the start button and ignition.
Attachments:

81/82 KZ440 Project RUSTY 23 May 2020 07:09 #826386

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
Thank you for your service, and thank you for bringing us back to your build. I like the instrument cluster. I am wondering what you have planned to fill in around the headlight.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

81/82 KZ440 Project RUSTY 23 May 2020 07:16 #826387

• Peanuthead
  • User
Thank you for your support. The picture doesn't really do any justice to show space. The headlight fills the opening of the fairing very well. Also, the cluster wasn't in when that picture was taken.

I finished the battery box last night and primed it. When I get the components mounted, I'll post pics. Not sure when because the wife is coming home today with a honey-do-list.

81/82 KZ440 Project RUSTY 31 May 2020 13:05 #827019

• Peanuthead
  • User
So last night, under the guidance of the wiring diagram from Loudhvx, I tore into the OE harness, removed the components I wasn't gonna use, and cut the wires (and connectors) I was gonna use. Once I finished that, I was about to start running them but ran into a small road block, the rear fender. Now i was planning on the paint being the final step but because I've got the dual function rear turn signals, I have to finish the fender first. Mainly because there are a few extra holes that need to be filled and body work. Guess this is a good excuse to fix the fairing too.

81/82 KZ440 Project RUSTY 01 Jun 2020 10:03 #827067

• Peanuthead
  • User
I got the ignition, start button, and headlight switch all wired up. Next I need to send power to the outlet, DRL, and speedo lights. I went back and forth about not using it but extra lights won't hurt.

Video on my Instagram.

81/82 KZ440 Project RUSTY 20 Jun 2020 16:21 #828549

• Peanuthead
  • User
I went back to work full time about 2 weeks ago so progress on Rusty has slowed down. I wasn't 100% happy with how the first cluster I made turned out so I made another one. This one is a heavier gauge steel and imo more symmetrical. I used pictures of a sportster clamp mount as a guide.
Attachments:

81/82 KZ440 Project RUSTY 22 Jun 2020 13:00 #828676

• Peanuthead
  • User
Small update, no pictures. Bought an LED flasher, tested it with all turn signals (works great), installed it and ran wires. Ditching the circle tail light because it felt kinda out of place. Decided to try and make my own. Pics to follow tonight/tomorrow.

81/82 KZ440 Project RUSTY 28 Jul 2020 07:02 #831695

• Peanuthead
  • User
It's been a little bit since I posted anything. Well, I went back to work full time a few days later, and I was only working on the bike at night after the babies went to sleep.

The new cluster was cut, painted, and everything installed. This looks 10x better than my first one. The wiring is almost finished too. I have to wire up all rear lights, starter, and stator. The rear fender was painted last night and rear turn/brake lights installed.

And, as it turns out, I'll be home for 12 more days to quarantine (nanny came to visit Saturday then called Sunday to say she tested pos for covid). Let's see if I can have a running bike in 12 days lol.
Attachments:

81/82 KZ440 Project RUSTY 28 Jul 2020 07:10 #831697

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
Thanks for the update. It is looking better, piece by piece.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

81/82 KZ440 Project RUSTY 30 Jul 2020 17:36 #831897

• Peanuthead
  • User
Thanks man. I'm happy with the progress too. I really like how its looking. I installed and wired up the round taillight because I want to get her on the road. All other rear lights got wired up too. I do have a small problem though. The turn signal/brake lights are LEDs. The running light function works when I test them individually and together but not when the center/main taillight is plugged in. The brake lights (all 3) light up together. Do i need to add a load equalizer?
Attachments:

81/82 KZ440 Project RUSTY 31 Jul 2020 07:10 #831917

• Peanuthead
  • User
I finished the rear Wiring harness last night and started connecting the turn signal switch and front brake switch. All lights now work!!!! I'll post a link to my Instagram account with the videos. Installed the tank to get a feel for everything and I'm loving the way Rusty is looking.
Attachments: