82 kz1000 ground up build

More
20 Jun 2024 13:52 #901040 by rivman15
Replied by rivman15 on topic 82 kz1000 ground up build
I really like your choice of color. I think the brown seat would look awesome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jowek70

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2024 04:25 #901062 by jowek70
Replied by jowek70 on topic 82 kz1000 ground up build
My welder thought the same thing but i dont think it would add anything since the cylinder head acts as the tube in that location already; the welded mounts bolt solid to the engine head and those are intended to be a stress member of the frame in the original bike.  I think a smaller diameter solid shaft in the OEM location should suffice.  Might be worth modeling up and seeing how it bends at work in my modeling software.

More
21 Jun 2024 04:44 #901063 by Wookie58
Replied by Wookie58 on topic 82 kz1000 ground up build

My welder thought the same thing but i dont think it would add anything since the cylinder head acts as the tube in that location already; the welded mounts bolt solid to the engine head and those are intended to be a stress member of the frame in the original bike.  I think a smaller diameter solid shaft in the OEM location should suffice.  Might be worth modeling up and seeing how it bends at work in my modeling software.
Sounds like a plan (I tend to be over cautious with these things, the only thing I would say is the donor chassis being much newer is probably significantly stiffer so probably subjects the head casting to less "twisting forces") 
Bike looks great (poss a future BOTM) 

More
21 Jun 2024 07:43 #901068 by jowek70
no worries, appreciate the input!
and thanks for the compliments will do once she's ready.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

More
02 Jul 2024 19:05 #901678 by jowek70
No pics sorry but have the pod filters installed on the TB’s and TB cables are on.
going to have to modify the frame a bit to clear the chain though, even with a 520 chain and sprockets and an offset front sprocket (17mm) it still rubs.
interesting that this exact setup, with stock engine, worked without issue when I did this on my dads 77 kz1000.