Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Kiwi GPZ 25 Sep 2021 00:33 #855745

• larriken
  • larriken's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 61

That front fender does look decent on there.

Yeah, I agree. Bit surprised that it kind of works. Bonus!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kiwi GPZ 25 Sep 2021 01:10 #855746

• 750 R1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 394
Parts bin special.... Love it...

Kiwi GPZ 25 Sep 2021 15:17 #855770

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
Looks great. FYI the static rear ride height is usually the same with or without engine maybe a couple mm difference, but not much. The shock should be topping out or nearly topping out without a rider on a sporty setup. 

Last edit: by DoctoRot.

Kiwi GPZ 25 Sep 2021 22:52 #855779

• larriken
  • User

Parts bin special.... Love it...

Yep, absolutely is. I have lots of bits n bobs lurking in the shed and this is a great bike to use them up on. What I haven't let on is that I have a 2nd GPZ1100 in parts that I will do a resto on so this one can kind of go where it takes me.

Kiwi GPZ 25 Sep 2021 23:07 #855780

• larriken
  • User

Looks great. FYI the static rear ride height is usually the same with or without engine maybe a couple mm difference, but not much. The shock should be topping out or nearly topping out without a rider on a sporty setup. 
Thanks mate! Good call, just don't think I will make a call on the ride height yet. I am going in a bit hit n miss on this one lol

Kiwi GPZ 17 Oct 2021 13:41 #856759

• larriken
  • User
Picked up the some bits I have been waiting for from the lazer cutters last week. Covid and lock downs has really made it difficult to get things done with any speed now. Suppose thats what you get in the middle of a pandemic. I am thinking my dog bones are probably pretty low priority in the grand scheme of things at the moment though! Anyways, dogbones fitted and on a ride height only 25mm higher than standard. With the extra hole I can add another 40mm. Choice! I like options. Version one of the engine mounts are looking pretty good too. Still need to spend an afternoon fettling but starting to look like it will come together. Bought a rear sprocket too so once I get the engine mounts sorted I can start aligning chain run and centring the engine. All guns blazing now!

Kiwi GPZ 18 Oct 2021 07:12 #856774

• scubaanders
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 233
Nice work Larriken!

Just wondering  are you using the ZZR or the Gpz pivot knuckle and what hole distances did you put on your dog bones? Also a bit curious on your swing arm bolt bushing, got some measurements?

/A
Gpz750R1 1982
Gpz750A1 1983
Gpz1100A2 1984
FZ750 1985
Gpz900R -91

Last edit: by scubaanders.

Kiwi GPZ 26 Oct 2021 19:24 #857094

• larriken
  • User

Nice work Larriken!

Just wondering  are you using the ZZR or the Gpz pivot knuckle and what hole distances did you put on your dog bones? Also a bit curious on your swing arm bolt bushing, got some measurements?

/A
Apologise for the delay in replying. I am terrible at checking on the forum! Knuckle was a parts bin surprise and I have absolutely no idea what it was from. I will measure the distances from the hole centres for you tonight if that will help. Dog bones were cut with the taller ride height eye to eye distance of 145mm and the lower was 160mm. When I whip the swingarm out next I can measure the swingarm bushings for you. 

Kiwi GPZ 27 Oct 2021 04:53 #857104

• scubaanders
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 233
No worries Larriken.

I thought that you like me were using the original knuckle from the Gpz1100A, if yours is from the local parts bin with unknown origin I guess that the dimensions could be different from the original knuckle, so no sweat.I will need to get some rubber on my rims, before I worries about the ride height, your cc dimensions give me a good starting point. I would really appreciate a little insight in how you made the swingarm pivot tube spacer, measurements.  

//A
Gpz750R1 1982
Gpz750A1 1983
Gpz1100A2 1984
FZ750 1985
Gpz900R -91

Last edit: by scubaanders.

Kiwi GPZ 06 Jan 2022 23:10 #860133

• larriken
  • User
No, I haven't given up on the GPZ! As usual doing several different projects at the same time. I have a Bandit 1200 that I use as a general hack and the intention was to keep it stock, not pull it apart, so that I always have a bike that runs. That failed miserably. I resisted for a few years but decided it was getting a bit tatty so gave it a birthday. Back on task now it's done though..............

Kiwi GPZ 06 Jan 2022 23:18 #860134

• larriken
  • User
I spent an hour or so on the lathe and made up some spacers to fit the rear engine mounts. Bolted them up and all looked good so I rang a mate to come round and give me a hand to put the motor in the GPZ frame. He wasn't free until tomorrow so being an impatient bugger I manhandled the big ol Bandit lump in with the help of a jack. Bolted it up and fits sweet! Need to centre the motor in the frame so I can make the final spacers for the front and rear mounts and line up the drive chain. Not sure how far out the drive line will be when once I have the engine central but it looks like the rear sprocket will need to come about 30mm in towards the centre of the rim. Want to check that the wheels are in alignment first before I machine the sprocket carrier. Measure twice cut once as they say. 

Kiwi GPZ 07 Jan 2022 00:31 #860136

• 750 R1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 394
Looks like if you get the swingarm angle right the chain line will work out ok. I'd be tempted to move the swingarm pivot closer to the engine now there's all that room there, a nice small wheelbase would be fun and speed up handling, you'd have heaps of options with swingarms too as length would be less of a problem.......