Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Kiwi GPZ 06 Mar 2016 08:48 #714118

• GypZee
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thoroughly enjoyed your posts to date; pleasantly surprised at the ease of the fork change, looking forward to reading about the fix for the rear suspension. This tempts me to tear into my 83, despite it being in great running condition as-it. Maybe I will look harder for a basket-case since I have most of the donor parts already.

Don't forget to keep the updates coming, please!
83 GPz1100
85 GPz550

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kiwi GPZ 14 Mar 2016 00:47 #715312

• larriken
  • larriken's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 61

GypZee wrote: Thoroughly enjoyed your posts to date; pleasantly surprised at the ease of the fork change, looking forward to reading about the fix for the rear suspension. This tempts me to tear into my 83, despite it being in great running condition as-it. Maybe I will look harder for a basket-case since I have most of the donor parts already.

Don't forget to keep the updates coming, please!

Thanks mate, takes me a while sometimes to get back to the computer but I will keep em coming. Cheers

Kiwi GPZ 14 Mar 2016 01:04 #715313

• larriken
  • User
I haven't had a chance to get much done of late so I thought I would do something easy but rewarding on the weekend. Due to my dodgy back I really like high bars on my bikes these days. I bought a set of mx fat bars and risers and started the fit up. Placement was a bit of fun as there is a bracing web right smack in the middle of the underside of the top clamp. I was going to make some risers and lift the bars up higher than the forks and have them mount more central but after umming and arring for a while I decided to move them back a bit. Made life easier as I don't need to make riser mounts or deal with the casting ridge on the top clamp. Also looked good this way with the fairing fitted (me holding it up). Drilled up the holes and nearly jobs done. Just need to shorten the bolts and rethread them. Back to the rear swingarm again next.

Last edit: by larriken.

Kiwi GPZ 14 Mar 2016 01:13 #715314

• larriken
  • User
I did manage to get down to a bike show yesterday though which was great. Took the KiwiKZP for a ride and took in the great bikes. Couple of nice Zed's hiding in the show and surrounding carparks.

Kiwi GPZ 14 Mar 2016 01:28 #715315

• larriken
  • User

Irish-Kawi wrote: Very nice Larriken, keep up the good work ;)

- Brett

EDIT: Larriken, on the first page I read that you said the 1100 foot pegs fit the 750 and vice versa, can I just confirm with you that's true? Any modifying needed at all etc? I've started to compile a list of parts that swap to the 83'-85' GPz's and wanted to confirm. Is that the passenger pegs or the rider's pegs or both do you know?

I have used the pegs front and rear from an 84 750 on the 1100 so no worries on the fitment their. Not a lot else swaps over though. The 750 is a lot smaller than the 1100. I have used the ignition barrel and gas cap and the headlight which all fit too. Top fairing and the screen swap over as well but the top fairing is a little different in the shape. Tail light and tail are the same too. Swingarm is the same by the looks too. Will keep you posted as I find out more.

Kiwi GPZ 17 Mar 2016 23:59 #715972

• larriken
  • User

Okay, back into it................just so I could have a look at how it will all sit together I put the front fairing on loosely and attached the clutch and front brake levers. As I am using up parts that I have in the workshop where possible I have dug out the front brake master cylinder and clutch perch from a TL1000S that had a few years ago. They have a nice set of ASV levers as well which is a bonus. Once the clocks etc are fitted I am picking the big GPZ is going to look pretty cool with it's MX bar setup. Hope so anyways!

Kiwi GPZ 18 Mar 2016 00:05 #715973

• larriken
  • User
I also have fitted the shock and linkages properly too. I had to drill out the bottom shock mount to fit the larger diameter bolt that the ZZR linkage uses but other than that all pretty straight forward to be honest. I will have to buy a couple of bolts as I hate having mismatched bolt heads (anal I know) and jobs done. For now anyway.

Obligatory drill shot lol

Attachments:

Kiwi GPZ 18 Mar 2016 00:13 #715974

• larriken
  • User

Now that the swing arm is mounted properly it means I can move onto the rear rim. First order of business is sorting out the smaller diameter axle vs the larger axle diameter of CB1300. Easiest and safest way to get over this issue is to fit try and find bearings with the same outside dimensions but an internal that fits the ZZR axle diameter. Off to Saeco bearings tomorrow to see what I can find...............Will keep you posted.
Attachments:

Kiwi GPZ 18 Mar 2016 07:45 #716021

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2598
NOW THAT'S AN ARM. :woohoo:
I want to find a neglected KZP to make a street fighter out of. :evil:
Steve

Kiwi GPZ 18 Mar 2016 09:01 #716031

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 37

larriken wrote:

Irish-Kawi wrote: Very nice Larriken, keep up the good work ;)

- Brett

EDIT: Larriken, on the first page I read that you said the 1100 foot pegs fit the 750 and vice versa, can I just confirm with you that's true? Any modifying needed at all etc? I've started to compile a list of parts that swap to the 83'-85' GPz's and wanted to confirm. Is that the passenger pegs or the rider's pegs or both do you know?

I have used the pegs front and rear from an 84 750 on the 1100 so no worries on the fitment their. Not a lot else swaps over though. The 750 is a lot smaller than the 1100. I have used the ignition barrel and gas cap and the headlight which all fit too. Top fairing and the screen swap over as well but the top fairing is a little different in the shape. Tail light and tail are the same too. Swingarm is the same by the looks too. Will keep you posted as I find out more.

Thanks a ton Larriken really really helpful!

Brett
All the gear all the time!

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

Father - Husband - Bourbonr - Rider

Kiwi GPZ 29 Mar 2016 23:31 #718158

• larriken
  • User
Mmmmm when one goes and sticks bits that don't normally reside in the bike you're putting them in bits that fitted don't want to fit anymore. With the GSXR shock now in place the battery box won't fit anymore. It's about 10mm to deep now so out with the grinder! I will cut out a new bottom tomorrow and we will have a new battery box. Luckily battery technology is heaps better now than in 1983 so I can fit a shorter battery in. Progress. Also finished refurbing and cleaning up the clocks (picture is shit but they look great, honest).

Kiwi GPZ 30 Mar 2016 05:48 #718186

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
i have always loved that gauge cluster!
nothin like having the back tire lit up and watching the fairing wag around that gauge pack to bring a big ol smile to your mug!

onward and upward,comon man!

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0